fibrous and globular proteins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prsndwg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are fibrous and globular proteins? what are he differences b/w them?
please give me some examples of them..

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

What are fibrous and globular proteins? what are he differences b/w them?
please give me some examples of them..

Thanks in advance
Fibrous proteins are those that assume a structural role in the body. As the name implies these proteins have a fibrous shape. Example: Collagen.

Globular proteins are those that assume an enzymatic/functional role in the body. As the name implies these proteins have a spherical shape. Example: Hemoglobin and almost all the enzymes in your body.

Fibrous proteins are those that assume a structural role in the body. As the name implies these proteins have a fibrous shape. Example: Collagen.

Globular proteins are those that assume an enzymatic/functional role in the body. As the name implies these proteins have a spherical shape. Example: Hemoglobin and almost all the enzymes in your body.

Perfect.. Would you consider the antibodies as globular protein since its not structural?

Perfect.. Would you consider the antibodies as globular protein since its not structural?

Antibodies are DEFINATELY globular. Examples of fibrous proteins are myosin, actin, keratin, collagen, flagellin, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

we only have two types of proteins: Structural (fibrous) and Globular. So if one is not structral then it is globular.

There are more types of Globular proteins than Structural. Globular proteins function as enzymes (i.e. pepsin), hormones (i.e. insulin), membrane pumps and channels (i.e. Na+/K+ pump and voltage gated sodium channels), membrane receptors (i.e. nicotinic receptors), intercellular and itracellular transport and storage (i.e. hemoglobin and Myoglobin), Osmotic regulators (i.e. Albumin), immune respose (i.e. antibodies) and more.

andyk has good examples of fibrous. think maintain and strenght to giude you for fibrous proteins.

so.... is a globular or fibrous protein representative of it's secondary structure since it deals with the overall conformation of the protein? I'm confused on the whole primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary structures.

so.... is a globular or fibrous protein representative of it's secondary structure since it deals with the overall conformation of the protein? I'm confused on the whole primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary structures.

Secondary structure is represented by fibrous protein.
Tertiary structure is represented by globular protein.

This is the way I understand it...

Primary structure - sequence of AA
Secondary structure - Alpha helix or beta sheet
Tertiary structure - bending of the secondary structure
Quaternary structure - formation of the protein by interaction of multiple tertiary structures (ie hemoglobin)