Fiction for Nontraditionals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started reading Arrowsmith By Sinclair Lewis. It won the Pultizer Prize in 1926 (I think), but Lewis refused to accept the award.

Anyways, I am delighted to see that the main character of this fictional tale is the early 1900's version of a 'non-traditional' medical student (as far as I can tell), who 'returns' to medical school after getting an advanced Bachelors of Arts degree, intent on become a physician scientist.

It is an entertaining read so far, of course taking into consideration that the book is about 85 years old!

Has anyone else read this? Also, what other books of literary fiction are out there that depict (rightly or wrongly) the non-traditional medical student?

Members don't see this ad.

I read Arrowsmith probably 13 or 14 years ago...maybe it put the idea into my head? :)

as for other works of fiction featuring the non-trad medical student, I cannot think of a single one. perhaps one of us could write one. if the non-trad was also a vampire it would sell like mad...

Novels themselves have become collateral dust sponges. The Sinclair Lewis novel seems interesting. But it's from 1925 or something. Back when people read. And medicine was infantile. And therefore perhaps better.

Fiction for non traditionals and medicine. That's a tough order. There's a thousand twits twittering on about it right now I'm sure. But you're looking for a book. Not the usual doc turns pen pimp stuff--this is the real ****--Harvard grad spills beans. But fiction.

I'm coming up bagel on that bro.

I like Phillip Dick. For dystopian likeness to the future of this human garbage disposal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. Although it's just a little dated as well.

The Doctor Stories, by William Carlos Williams. Very dated, but recently reprinted. Racist, sexist, classist -- but interesting first-hand GP stories from the 30s and 40s.