Field Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do vet schools feel about field courses? I'm planning on taking one this summer... basically, I'll be spending three weeks on an uninhabited island, identifying native plant and animal species, learning about these species, learning how to collect samples, and doing dissections. It's three credit hours.

I want to take ornithology next year do an ornithology field course during the summer.

I was just wondering if participating in field courses would give me any sort of leg up when I apply to vet school. As you can see, I also have an interest in environmental science. If I never get into vet school, it is something I want to pursue further I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure it will look good and will add to your breadth of experience, something to make you stand out a little more!!

It definitely won't hurt. :)

It might be good experience but I'd email someone at the school you're planning on applying to, just to see if it's acceptable. Because at OVC they will only take pre req's from full time semesters (definetly messed that up for one semester and I couldn't use any courses for pre req's from that semsester). I was interested in taking a field course last year to Costa Rica, but it would have only been a few weeks long, so I didn't want to jeopardize another semester by not taking the full amount of full time courses.

Hope this helps!

*but then again I'm sure it would still look good just for the experience... regardless of whether you can/can't use courses from that semester for pre-req's!

Last edited:
That would suck if they don't accept courses not taken during full time semesters. I took a 6 credit psychology course last spring and I was planning on re-taking a course or two over the spring. If I take a full course load anyway, I'll be safe. When I go to take biochem though, I wanted to take only four courses instead of five... chemistry really isn't my strong point. According to the AVC, doing that is okay as long as I have at least 18 credit hours over two semesters :p I'll look into it, even though it probably won't stop me from taking them :p