fifth year: Low GPA Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ,

I hope you can help me. This is my Fifth year B.S. in molecular biology and because I am lacking in so many ways I am thinking of staying one more year at my university retaking courses in the hope of getting a better GPA and more experience within my university.

My question is: Can you suggest me summer research programs (normal or for minority) that accepts applicants with a GPA <3.0?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

How below 3.0 are we talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. GPA around 2.7-2.8 and if you have programs with even lower GPA I would appreciated because those programs will make me more competitive

What are you shooting for? MD or DO? For DO schools, research is more of a plus than a necessary. Just focus on doing well for your retakes.

If you're only going for MD, it will take a lot more than research to help your app.

Hey. GPA around 2.7-2.8 and if you have programs with even lower GPA I would appreciated because those programs will make me more competitive
I met someone at the SFSU REU with a similar GPA. Even if they have a minimum posted, ignore it. They consider people with lower GPA anyway.

What are you shooting for? MD or DO? For DO schools, research is more of a plus than a necessary. Just focus on doing well for your retakes.

If you're only going for MD, it will take a lot more than research to help your app.
I agree. For DO the best thing to do would be to spend the summer doing retakes.

I got some pretty good advice from a colleague I did research with during the summer.

He told me that he e-mailed a lot of his professors & looked into research opportunities at school to secure a spot to do research. I believe he also got credit for it & he got paid. Your university should offer plenty of research opportunities, despite GPA requirements. Since you're majoring in Molecular Biology, go into some of your professors' office hours & try to befriend them. Ask them if they're in need of any research assistance & let them know that you're interested in doing research with them. It might be better to formally ask them via e-mail after you've talked to them in person. Best of luck!!