Going into my final year with a low GPA, how many credits of a DIY post bacc will I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redking10000

Reaction score
I'm currently at around 3.3 cgpa 3.0 sgpa through my undergraduate junior year. This past year I've been dealing with personal issues (terminally ill family member) that was distracting to my coursework and combined with poor time management I got a sub 3.0 junior year. It just brutally tanked my gpa, leading to a downward trend. Something to note is that I got a D in ochem1, retook for B+ and got a D in ochem2 twice, so I'm planning on taking ochem2 a third time without any distractions and getting an A.

With the help of an academic coach and working on my study skills I'm planning on getting a near 4.0 in my senior year. That would bring me to a 3.4 cgpa and 3.15 sgpa. I think I'll be able to pull off a 4.0 because I'll be more prepared. I've done well in the past so it's not an issue of my ability, just discipline.

I think after all this, I still need some post-bacc help and a DIY post bacc will be the most cost-efficient for me. How many credits should I aim for to show an upward trend? I would have around 10 credits/hours of BCPM courses in my senior year that I can hopefully get a 4.0 in. Would another 20-30 credits of a near-4.0 gpa be sufficient? Another 30 credits would bring me up to a 3.35/3.4 science gpa and 3.5 cumulative. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I'm shooting for 515+ with full-time studying during one of my gap years (I plan to take two gap years) I understand I'd need to do very well in the ochem-relevant section of the MCAT also.

I'm working on my extracurriculars right now and should be solid there, I have a theme of helping disabled people and also those with certain diseases that I can tie in to family and personal experience. I'm also involved in conservation work which I'm passionate about. I have several hundred hours of non clinical research. I have minimal clinical volunteering but plan to work a clinical job over my gap years which should give me enough hours. But my concerns are mainly about my academics.

Members don't see this ad.