1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

MPH Figuring out what public health program would be a best fit for me

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by desi_ENFP, Aug 20, 2015.

1. desi_ENFP

Hello all,
    I am a graduate with a professional health degree but not very many people with my background pursue an MPH. I want my concentration to currently be on epidemiology with a school that offers a wide breadth of options as far as electives go. I want to gain epidemiology skills primary for the analytical skills but am interested in toxicology, chronic/infectious disease, health disparities as topics which I would like to learn in terms of the epidemiology background.

I am not entirely sure what I want to do (hoping that the program will give some sense of direction), but in essence I've worked in government health and am interested in city, state or federal government positions as well as options in hospitals affiliated with academic institutions.

The schools I am interested in (and not comprehensive at all! If you are in or know of a program that may fit my needs, please let me know)
    1. Johns Hopkins
    2. Yale
    3. University of Pittsburgh
    4. UMich
    5. UNC
    6. Boston University
    7. Harvard
    8. UC Berkeley
    9. Brown
    10. Columbia

Schools that I MAY consider for geographic reasons: NYU, Tufts, Dartmouth

Things I am interested in as far as the school goes:
    1. preferably small class size and ability to work with professors
    2. internship opportunities available in a city, state, federal govt or a hospital, clinic
    3. flexibility

If you would like, feel free to privately message me. I can send you my e-mail address/phone if it's easier to talk off SDN.
    Thanks a lot :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Solara

2+ Year Member

Hopkins would be good for fed government opportunities (in washington dc), as well as work with hospital (the JH hospital).

4. KPZ

KPZ

Other Health Professions Student
    Any of those are fine. You should consider Emory.

5. UNM

UNM

Dentist
    Hi , I am in a similar position , but due to my location I am only looking at UC Berkeley , I am a little confused as I come from a dental background but would want to pursue public health now , if you have found out about this course and can help me gain a little clarity , would be appreciated . I could mail or call you or continue talking here , as per your convenience .

6. Stories

Stories Life Afficianado
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Epi makes the backbone of most schools. They should all offer the breadth you're looking for. You can get a wide variety at the bigger schools (Harvard , Hopkins), but you'll get smaller class sizes at the expense of course offerings (Yale, Brown).

I'd suggest taking a look at where you'd like to live once you're done, first and foremost, and then narrow down schools from there. Can't really go wrong with those options you've listed.