file converter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gust

Peace be unto you.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
need to update a med. school with some files, but they only accept pdf files. Does anyone know of any reliable (virus free) and free file converters. I need to convert a wps and rtf file to pdf.

Thanks for the help.

-Gust

Members don't see this ad.

PDFCreator. It installs a virtual printer on your computer. If you go to File->Print and choose PDFCreator as your printer, it will save a PDF file.

if you're using microsoft word.. you can just hit print and in the bottom left corner, choose to save as a PDF.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it safe to download the PDFcreator? Also, my comp. is on the lower end of thinks so I am working with the default word document known as microsoft works

PDFCreater is completely safe. It's an open source program, which means that they post the code online for everyone to see, and yes, I have read the code, and no, it does not contain a virus. Also, I've had it installed on my computer for the past year and I can say that I've had no complaints.

The nice thing about the way PDFCreator imitates a printer is that it automatically works with any program that supports printing. This means that it will work with Microsoft Works.

Is it safe to download the PDFcreator? Also, my comp. is on the lower end of thinks so I am working with the default word document known as microsoft works

PDFCreator is perfect.

I use this all the time. I was a computer repair technician for 2.5 years.

"PDFCreater is completely safe. It's an open source program, which means that they post the code online for everyone to see, and yes, I have read the code, and no, it does not contain a virus. Also, I've had it installed on my computer for the past year and I can say that I've had no complaints.

The nice thing about the way PDFCreator imitates a printer is that it automatically works with any program that supports printing. This means that it will work with Microsoft Works."

"PDFCreator is perfect.

I use this all the time. I was a computer repair technician for 2.5 years."

Wow, this sounds perfect guys! Thank you very much...appreciate the helpfulness!

just gave it a try...man, it is so easy to use! Thanks again! :)

Last edited:
You can save files as PDFs in Microsoft Word... probably easier than downloading software if you only need it for this one thing.

Edit: nevermind, you already downloaded it. Haha

You can save files as PDFs in Microsoft Word... probably easier than downloading software if you only need it for this one thing.

Edit: nevermind, you already downloaded it. Haha

but thanks for the suggestion

PDFCreater is completely safe. It's an open source program, which means that they post the code online for everyone to see, and yes, I have read the code, and no, it does not contain a virus. Also, I've had it installed on my computer for the past year and I can say that I've had no complaints.

The nice thing about the way PDFCreator imitates a printer is that it automatically works with any program that supports printing. This means that it will work with Microsoft Works.
Not sure if you're still using SDN, but you sound very computer literate and I can't find anyone who knows the answer to this question!

So, it says on AACOMAS and AMCAS that you cannot use Microsoft Word to write out anything and then copy/paste it into their site because it will add coding into the text when the medical schools go to look at it on their screen. They said to use microsoft text or something like that, but I only have a Mac. Do you know, by any chance, if I type up something on Microsoft Word and then copy/paste it into TextEdit, and then save it, if it will get rid of Microsoft Word coding and make it readable on the AACOMAS and AMCAS platforms? I can't imagine typing this WHOLE thing out all over again... I'm hoping putting into Mac "TextEdit" and then saving it will get rid of any invisible coding from MWord. What do you think?

Not sure if you're still using SDN, but you sound very computer literate and I can't find anyone who knows the answer to this question!

So, it says on AACOMAS and AMCAS that you cannot use Microsoft Word to write out anything and then copy/paste it into their site because it will add coding into the text when the medical schools go to look at it on their screen. They said to use microsoft text or something like that, but I only have a Mac. Do you know, by any chance, if I type up something on Microsoft Word and then copy/paste it into TextEdit, and then save it, if it will get rid of Microsoft Word coding and make it readable on the AACOMAS and AMCAS platforms? I can't imagine typing this WHOLE thing out all over again... I'm hoping putting into Mac "TextEdit" and then saving it will get rid of any invisible coding from MWord. What do you think?

TextEdit is the Mac version of Windows' Notepad. TextEdit is in rich text by default, you have to change this by going to Format > Make Plain Text, and it will be in the plain text format you need for copy/pasting into AMCAS. If you don't change it to plain text, it will still have some formatting from Word.

Reactions: 1 user
You are a genius!!! thank you so much. So I'm 100% safe then copy and pasting from plain text? haha sorry I'm annoying. Just making sure!

Whoa I didn't even know that was possible! In AACOMAS, is that "View Application Summary"? I don't see a PDF option in AACOMAS. I'm looking on the AMCAS site now too and am not seeing the PDF view option -- sorry you're having to spoon-feed me, do you know where that link is/what it looks like to view? Thank you again. Seriously don't know what I would do without people like you on SDN

Is it the print application option and then print from PDF I assume for AMCAS?

Whoa I didn't even know that was possible! In AACOMAS, is that "View Application Summary"? I don't see a PDF option in AACOMAS. I'm looking on the AMCAS site now too and am not seeing the PDF view option -- sorry you're having to spoon-feed me, do you know where that link is/what it looks like to view? Thank you again. Seriously don't know what I would do without people like you on SDN

I never used AACOMAS and it's been 3 years since I used AMCAS, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I think there should be a button called "print application" or something on AMCAS when you're viewing the "homepage" that shows links to all the sections. There's also a button on that page to withdraw your app and a bunch of other buttons on the right hand side.

Edit:
Is it the print application option and then print from PDF I assume for AMCAS?
Yes

I never used AACOMAS and it's been 3 years since I used AMCAS, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I think there should be a button called "print application" or something on AMCAS when you're viewing the "homepage" that shows links to all the sections. There's also a button on that page to withdraw your app and a bunch of other buttons on the right hand side.

Edit:

Yes
Awesome. Thanks again! So if it looks normal on the PDF, then it looks normal to them. Great!