filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dawnee21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm brand spankin new to this forum so if y'all have talked about this then forgive me! but... what do you guys think of med schools in the Philippines? In particular, I'm wondering if you get a decent education and what are the chances of being able to do residencies in the US? Also, I'm wondering about the language barrier -- I know English is widely spoken, but should I worry about not being able to converse in Tagalog? Any comments would be most appreciated! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hi dawnee, i'm MS3 at a med school in Manila. and i think the education here is quite good and some of the professors are american trained so that kindda helps. i think you'll have to arrange for your own rotations, although there are a few schools like Fatima that have agreements with certain american hospitals.
you don't have to worry about the language barrier cos the medium of instruction is english but there are a few doctors who speak tagalog from time to time but that's mostly when they are telling CORNY jokes or saying something unrelated to medicine.
if you have any other questions i'll be glad to answer them.

The path through the Philippines is well-worn for US folks. When the price is factored in with relative quality, I think the option is a very good one.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello all. i am also brand new to this forum as well. and as you can see from my screen name i am a graduate from a philippine medical school. i decided to go the philippines, mainly for financial reasons,(i didn't need to take out another loan), but also since i have been in contact with many filipino doctors in the US who are highly susccessful and well-respected by their peers in their perspective fields. i also thought that it would be easier to adjust to a culture that i was more familiar with and the educational system is formatted like the US medical schools. all the subjects are taught in english, and all of your classmates speak it as well. as for speaking tagalog, if definitely helps you while you are there. but you will eventually pick up some of the language, and realize that alot of it becomes tag-lish. i would be happy to answer any of your questions. good luck! :p

Thanks for the replies! I've been debating whether to go ahead and try going to the Philippines, and your responses are most encouraging. :) I just might hafta take you guys up on your offer of emailing you once I continue to do more research about this option!