Filler words during interview ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FatherTime-PhD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I know that the general consensus seems to be to never use filler words when you can.
I particularly love using "um" multiple times. Not "ummmmm" but literally "um". I tried practicing without it, ya know, using pauses and what not. But now I seriously think I sound like a robot without the "um"...?

Is it really that bad? I almost like myself better when I say "um" lol.

Example:
I really like hiking, um, it's an activity that allows me to relieve stress.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So, again, I'm not trying to dismiss what the general consensus -- which is heavily against filler words, but I think this article resonates with what I'm trying to say: How filler words like 'um' and 'uh' could actually help you ace your job interview

Basically, I don't use any filler words except "um". But if I take it out, it literally makes me seem like a robot? I can be a more "fun" person to talk to if you let me throw an "um" every few sentences... but again, just curious. Really hoping this doesn't warrant replies like "go ahead and try that, have fun with an R"

Members don't see this ad :)
Um is fine imo as long as its not too much. Dont use words like “like” in context of “shes like” so you dont sound like youre in high school

Okay, so I know that the general consensus seems to be to never use filler words when you can.
I particularly love using "um" multiple times. Not "ummmmm" but literally "um". I tried practicing without it, ya know, using pauses and what not. But now I seriously think I sound like a robot without the "um"...?

Is it really that bad? I almost like myself better when I say "um" lol.

Example:
I really like hiking, um, it's an activity that allows me to relieve stress.
Do it too much it becomes annoying to the listener, gives the impression that you are overly nervous, and suggests communication issues. Clear communication skills is a required competency in medical students and residents.

Reactions: 3 users
They’re not just FILLER words, but Sentence Enhancers...
A6BA529E-C4B3-49BF-BC5A-0F724BE459F9.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Um is fine imo as long as its not too much. Dont use words like “like” in context of “shes like” so you dont sound like youre in high school

Ummm, like totally... :p

Reactions: 1 user
Don't rehearse and memorize canned speeches in anticipation of interview questions and you won't sound as robotic. Authenticity is important too.

Reactions: 1 users
I found myself pausing for short periods and looking out a tree out the window. Um would probably have worked too.

I found myself pausing for short periods and looking out a tree out the window. Um would probably have worked too.

You think maybe the interviewer is wondering why you keep looking out the window?

Reactions: 1 user
People notice when you say um. It comes across as though you are either nervous or haven’t thought out your answer. It’s much better to just take a short pause, and no it doesn’t make you sound like a robot. If you can’t speak without saying um without sounding robotic then you need to do a lot of mock interviews because removing that one word from your vocabulary shouldn’t suddenly make you seem robotic and stiff.

Whether there is an article out there or otherwise isn’t really relevant. What matters is how the majority of professional interviewers view the behavior, and it is almost uniformly negative if it happens more than a couple times.

Just for future neurotic premeds who come across this post, I’d like to report that I “um”-ed “uh”-ed “like”-ed “stuff like that”-ed and “ya know”-ed innumerably throughout my interviews and survived.

• Haha