Filling in time in clinical years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm a UK IMG, I was going to do all the USMLE steps but recently everything's changed and i'm no longer interested in sitting step 1 and going to the US. I'm now planning on heading to Germany for residency. Now that i'm not sitting the steps and don't need research etc I have so much free time and i'm incredibly bored, I already play sports and meet up with my mates once a week and on top of that do a bit of German study everyday but between that and rotations i'm really bored. I have a great class rank and I use all the USMLE material for my exams anyway so there's no real need to put in extra hours study.

So anybody got any suggestions? I was so busy when I was prepping for the US with research and step study etc but now I just have nothing to do lol. Any suggestions on things to kill time? I've been trying to find a good game but man it's dire in the gaming world atm, I struggle watching series although I absolutely loved Lennox Hill.

What did you guys do when you had a lull and a ton of spare time? I've already traveled and see my friends plenty etc life is pretty good; it's just I have like 6+ hours a day now of spare time.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a real post lol

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah? I mean what do you guys do all of 4th year for example to kill time since you already know where you've matched etc

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah? I mean what do you guys do all of 4th year for example to kill time since you already know where you've matched etc
We dont find out where we match until the end of March lol

I thought applications were due in by September or something like that and then aren't you done and just waiting till March anyway? (I have no idea I just thought the general consensus was you do nothing during 4th year)

Last edited:
I'm American but moved to Ireland for medical school and plan to stay (I am a citizen). I can confirm that what OP is describing is true: European students on clinical rotations have a lot of free time.

It will take me 5 years instead of 3 years to become a GP, but the money is the same at the end, contrary to popular belief (consultants in Ireland only need to report public salaries and not revenue from private patients). Also my total cost of attendance, including tuition and living, is only $25 000. I also qualify for social welfare in the summer if I can't find work and free medical/dental and €2 prescriptions.

I don't have strong family ties to the U.S. but even if I did, I feel like I got a sweet deal coming to Ireland. No interviews or board exams until a year after I graduate and already have a medical licence, that I could walk into Australia with if I wanted.

I left a US D.O. school and it was the best risk I ever took.

I'm American but moved to Ireland for medical school and plan to stay (I am a citizen). I can confirm that what OP is describing is true: European students on clinical rotations have a lot of free time.

It will take me 5 years instead of 3 years to become a GP, but the money is the same at the end, contrary to popular belief (consultants in Ireland only need to report public salaries and not revenue from private patients). Also my total cost of attendance, including tuition and living, is only $25 000. I also qualify for social welfare in the summer if I can't find work and free medical/dental and €2 prescriptions.

I don't have strong family ties to the U.S. but even if I did, I feel like I got a sweet deal coming to Ireland. No interviews or board exams until a year after I graduate and already have a medical licence, that I could walk into Australia with if I wanted.

I left a US D.O. school and it was the best risk I ever took.

I know exactly what you mean, I was heavily relying on making contacts while in the US (I got ****ed over by my school) to get my desired residency but covid completely ****ed up everything, i'm pretty good at networking/making contacts but regardless this may be for the best. Like yourself I now found the best option for me.

I am incredibly ****ing bored though, I do 99% more than med students already in my social life but wtf am I gonna do to fill in those extra hours a day now.

I strongly detest the youtube thing; the last thing we need is another med student youtuber. I think thats been done to death especially since they're all carbon copies of each other, a girl in my class is trying it and obviously all her fans are just guys messaging her cringe stuff.

The business is an interesting idea i've always thought about tutoring because realistically it's incredible cash and tax free :D but maybe I actually should give it a go.