filling out secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoubleOSeven

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey folks, i'm having trouble with secondary app essays. i feel like i have nothing new to say about my desire to pursue osteopathic medicine that i did not already say in my essay on the primary aacomas app. did any of you feel this way and end up repeating some of what was said in the primary app essay? also, did you type or handwrite?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, what worked for me was finding something unique about each program that related to my goals and desires. I made sure to emphasize points that I had not really elaborated on in my initial aacomas app. It would be a wise choice to give the ad comms as much info about yourself as possible. Find something that your passionate about that you have not already described, and relay that passion in your essays. Ad comms know that you want to pursue osteopathic medicine... now let them know why you chose their program above all others.

IMO, it is more professional to type your responses. When I applied, I composed my statements in Word, printed them, pasted them onto the application itself, and then had Kinkos copy them onto paper that matched the originals. I'm sure that there is a less complicated method to get the same results- perhaps using a scanner or something of the like. Hope some of this helps.

Kiss each schools ass.

In your secondaries write why THAT school is the school for you.

Be honest and don't say "your my top choice" unless its true.

Good lucl.

Hi there,

I felt like the primary application did not give much room to go into any sort of detail like the secondary apps did. It is difficult to say if the essay on the primary app is even heavily weighted, so you will want to do your best on your secondaries. Be sure to thoughtfully consider each and every question. Don't feel as if you need to write a small book, but demonstrate the fact that you have an understanding of osteopathic ideals and that you put time into answering each essay question. This is your chance to tell the school who you really are and an interview is usually the school's chance to confirm that you fit your essay style. The best advice I can give is be honest, be sincere, and be yourself in your essay(s). If you need anything else, let me know. If not, good luck in the application process!

Julia
MS-I:clap: