fin aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ducks_are _the best

Reaction score
I know this is something I will ask later, but for those with multiple acceptances from previous years, are you allowed to pin schools against each other and ask for a better fin. aid package if you really want to go to that school? That is how I did it for undergrad and it def. swayed my decision on where I went.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is also nothing wrong with trying. The worst they will say is no.
Short answer, though, is yes and that you can pit financial aid offers at different schools against each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is something I will ask later, but for those with multiple acceptances from previous years, are you allowed to pin schools against each other and ask for a better fin. aid package if you really want to go to that school? That is how I did it for undergrad and it def. swayed my decision on where I went.
Of course it is "allowed," since to not allow it would veer into anti-competitive conduct territory. You will, however, find the dynamic is VERY different from UG. Class sizes are way smaller and there is intense competition for every seat. Every school can easily replace any candidate not happy with their net cost with a perfectly acceptable full pay candidate, so you really don't have any leverage at all.

That said, there is a small slice of candidates that is vigorously competed for by the schools. Being a high stat URM definitely helps here, although, of course, that is not a prerequisite for success. Your success will ultimately depend on the school, what your other options are, and how much money you are talking about. It definitely helps to expect nothing and allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised rather than to expect it to go like UG and then find yourself bitterly disappointed if it doesn't.

I agree with what Goro said. What’s more, even if you get a Geffen, it does not mean that U Penn will match with the Perlman, notwithstanding that the Geffen is more lucrative.

Would they ever rescind their acceptance offer after you try to ask for a better financial aid package after letting them know another school is offering higher aid?

Would they ever rescind their acceptance offer after you try to ask for a better financial aid package after letting them know another school is offering higher aid?
Never. One thing has nothing to do with the other. As was said above, all they can do is say no to meeting or beating another award.

Reactions: 1 user
I did this with several schools, but it’s rare. Did it with T5s, 10s and 20s that are known for giving good aid already.