Final Decision: Buffalo vs. Case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trident007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have narrowed my decision down to either Buffalo or Case. I would really appreciate any input as to pros/cons of the schools that I may not be familiar with OR any information below that I have been mis-informed about.

NOTE: I am an international student, so I cannot get in-state tuition for Buffalo after first year (which is a big pro for that school for most people). The difference in tuition between the two schools ends up being ~$10,000 with Buffalo's tuition increase, which is still about ~$40,000 difference for the four years, but I'd like to prevent money from making the decision here (at least hypothetically :p).

Buffalo
- close to home (less than a 1.5 hour drive)
- don't mind the weather (coming from Canada)
- own operatory in 3rd & 4th year
- multiple choice exams, more than one exam for every course
- good clinical training, except maybe in ortho and implants
- opportunity to do a minor in fourth year
- get all the Jewish holidays off school (apparently there's some 4-day weeks!)
- have summers off - can do some research, extra clinic stuff, relax lol
- boards part I = summer after 2nd year
- dress code = scrubs
- externship program btw 3rd & 4th year
- letter grading system (A,B,C,D,F)
- some classes with Med students (I know gross anatomy for sure, although separated during labs, and I think half of histo?)
- enthusiasm and friendliness of the students/staff during the interview
- great classmates (based on the Facebook group! :))

Case
- a plane-ride away (not a long one though)
- I think the weather is kind of the same as Buffalo, maybe less snow, but as I said that doesn't bother me
- own operatory for 3rd & 4th year (unless Case over-accepts again)
- one exam worth 100% of grade for each course
- PBL learning first year - doesn't really make or break anything for me
- good clinical training
- dress code = scrubs
- get your own "secretary" for booking patients
- Pass/Fail grading system (may change if boards go pass/fail) --> however since they secretely rank you for those applying to specialty programs, this doesn't really seem to me like it would eliminate competition
- Healthy Smiles Sealant program - get clinical exposure very early on
- boards = Christmas after 2nd year
- DentSim labs - although I have heard not to base a decision on these, they are cool but not necessary
- classes SOLELY with dental students
- both the staff and students were also very friendly, but my other 2 interviewees were both married Mormon students - I have heard that the class gets kind of cliquey because many of the students at Case are married and Mormon and they tend to stick together.. my fellow interviewees may have just been a coincidence, but please correct me if I am wrong!

I want to be a GP, so I'm just looking to get the best education that I can. They both seem like excellent schools and I would be honoured to attend either one.. unfortunately that is making the decision hard!

Any input is GREATLY appreciated - I have to decide by Friday! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe at Buffalo, you have to share your operatory with another person in 3rd and 4th yrs. With that in mind, your clinical exposure will be cut in half.

On their website (http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/programs/dds/year3.html) , UB says that, "Each student is assigned an operatory for his/her exclusive use for the third- and fourth-year clinical experience", which is what led me to believe that.

Unless there is some discrepancy between what the website says and what actually happens in the clinic - can possibly anyone clear this up (former/current UB students?) for me, I'd really appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone gets there own chair, noone shares. One of the huge advantages at UB. Maybe I will see you in the fall!!! Good Luck with your decision!

Everyone gets there own chair, noone shares. One of the huge advantages at UB. Maybe I will see you in the fall!!! Good Luck with your decision!

Thanks for the clarification! You probably will see me in the fall hahah - ever since my interview I have been leaning towards UB.. I just want to make sure that I'm giving careful consideration to all the options!

Yup, you have your own chair. I dentist who graduated from UB a few years ago even said they engrave your name on a plaque that is on your chair which has all the students that have "owned" that chair for two years.

In that case, stay close to home. You may bring your friends or family members in for their dental treatments. Big plus especially when taking your regional board in 4th yr.

I'm a 4th year at UB and I can tell you 100% that you have your own chair. I know that at some other schools you have to compete with other students for limited chairs. In fact, chairs are so plentiful here that when I occasionally have to double book (see two patients in one clinic period) I will frequently use an empty chair close to me for my additional patient.

Another thing I typically mention to applicants at UB is that the cost of living here allows you to live like very well. In some urban schools, you have to pay through the nose to live in a cramped apartment, often a long drive or long subway ride away. At UB, you can live a 5 minute drive away in either very modern apartments or 2 family homes in a very safe neighborhood. The neighborhood around UB is a little sketchy, but the 5 minute drive brings you into Amherst which is America's fourth safest city (http://trends.move.com/americas-safest-cities-amherst-new-york/).

Anyhow, hope that helps, and good luck with your decision.

Thanks so much for the replies! I think I am definitely leaning towards UB :)

UB BABY! The future classmates seem cool... aww way to suck up to the future mates :love: lol jk