Final Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocGibby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be a bit premature here, but has anyone out there made the final decision on where they plan to go next year? If not, have you narrowed it down?

DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Members don't see this ad.

DocGibby: Still having a hell of a time between UHS and COMP. I got a 2wk extension on UHS to sort things out.

DG- I'm having a tough time too. Right now, it's between UHS, CCOM, and NOVA. Maybe KCOM. I'm not sure, I haven't been there yet, much less been accepted!

Congrats on you decision for Michigan!

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

Members don't see this ad :)
SD and Miglo,

For your information. UHS-COM was my next choice behind MSUCOM. UHS-COM, as you have seen, is an excellent school. Top notch laboratories, beautiful friendly campus, great program, etc... I know I'm gonna get alot of flack for this, but I personally consider it one of the best of the Osteopathic Colleges. I choose MSUCOM over UHSCOM for only a few reasons.

1)I'm a michigan resident (I love living here)
2)My families all here
3)Because I'm a resident my tuition is only 13,000/year (bargin education compared to 30,000 plus at UHSCOM)Of course UHSCOM's high tuition pays for those great labs etc..
4)MSUCOM is one of only two Osteo Colleges affiliated with a Major University. In addition, my girlfriend can go to school with me and pursue her career.
5)Last but not least, I consider MSUCOM to be among the top Osteopathic Colleges, along side UHSCOM and a few select others.

In a nutshell, if it weren't for the other factors, UHSCOM would definately be my first choice. Especially, if I was an Non-Michigan resident, like yourselves.

DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

ummmmm i would still be waiting for an interview.......

peds

I know waiting is tough peds, I didn't get my first interview until Feb....hang in there and good luck

I'm trying to decide between UHS and NOVA. I haven't had my interview at NOVA yet.

I've received a few interview invites so far. From my experience of the 1998 interview season, you better have exceptional numbers if you want a chance to gain admission to most schools after January.
Oh, and I've learned that FEW people get off of waitlists.

Hey DocGibby:
I was hoping to see you pop up on this BB. I'll be in town for an interview at MSU-COM on the 16th of October. I will be arriving the afternoon of the 14th and driving in from Detroit (much cheaper tickets). I have already interviewed at what I consider among the top DO schools: UNT-TCOM, PCOM and UHS. I am particularly interested in those that offer the DO/MPH, which is one of the main reasons I applied to MSU. I know they rarely interview out-of-staters, but I thought it was worth a try. After all, it is MSU...what more need anyone say?

I know this is a rather broad question, however, can you give me any further advice on the school, especially concerning my interview? Also, how long does it realistically take to drive in from Detroit? I arrive around 1:00 P.M. on Saturday and have an evening flight out on Monday.

If you happen to be around on Monday, say hello. I am easy to find- 75", 200lbs, dark blonde hair with a military haircut, and I will be wearing my favorite/lucky blue suit.

Right now, I am looking at schools without regard to cost. I have researched many options and I am more than willing to make a commitment to the NHSC, HPSP, etc. I have a number of years experience in a "physician-extender" occupational specialty in the military and have a very solid interest in primary care. By the way, I have already been accepted to UHS. The other schools I have interviewed at will not release acceptances for a few weeks longer. However, and I do not mean to sound over confident in any way, I am "very, very cautiously optimistic" that I just might have a few choices. I base that off of what everyone has told me: 1) All my interviews were within the first batch that the schools conducted and, 2) they all went extremely well. I have my fingers crossed. On the other hand, if I were not to be accepted any other place, UHS is nothing at all to be disappointed about. I think it is a great school.

I am looking forward to visiting MSU-COM. Hope to see you there. -DJ

RDJ,

You really went back far to reserect this old post. A+ for effort. Anyways, you picked a hell of a time for an interview. Where about to begin a testing extravaganza. We've got about two tests a week all the way up to thanks giving, more or less. The day of your interview is a monster physiology exam, with the anatomy exam 2 days after that. So don't be discouraged if my fellow classmates and I are looking pretty ragged. We might be a bit irritable also, but don't take it personally, lol. As far as your drive goes, I assume your coming into detroit metro airport. Prepare yourself for a surprise when you get there. Let me just say that in the 1960's Detroit Metro was a model airport, a jewel if you will. Keep that in mind when you visit our "state of the art" baggage claim. Oh by the keep in mind we're the 6th buisest airport in the nation. Back to the driving. It should take you roughly 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to get from there to lansing. Kinda depends on the traffic, the construction, and which way you go. I'd have to get out the map, but I believe you'll probably be shooting up I-75 to I-96. My advice is what ever way you take, stick to the interstates. As for your interview, stay calm and relaxed. It's pretty standard fare. I'm sure you'll already hit just about every question these committees can come up with. You'll do fine. You'll have two seperate interview with a diferent faculty member. One of my interviewers derived her questions directly from my secondary application personal statement, the other discussed life with me (in philosophical terms). Very laid back, very non-confrontational, very straightforward. Anyways, good luck to ya.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Hey, thanks for the response. Sorry, about the ancient post, I cannot take credit for its resurrection though; it was the person before me. That is the second time I have seen that happen in a week or so. Maybe I should pay more attention to the dates; it never really occurred to me to do so before.
Thanks for the information. I received an e-mail yesterday from three MS-II?s who share an apartment together. They offered to house me during my interview. To save money I am flying in on Saturday (interview is Monday). The ticket was about $600 cheaper. With all that said, I think I will have ample opportunity to get a good impression of what MSU is all about.

Thanks,
DJ