[Final EC Review] Do I Need More Nonclinical Volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fxryker

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
ECs.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Well the nonclinical volunteering is supposed to focus on the unserved/underserved in your community. Like people that are disadvantaged. Unless you only go on runs for underprivileged people, I don’t think you have that EC covered. Look for soup kitchens, homeless shelters, camps for disabled kids, coach o team of underprivileged kids, go visit vets at a vet center(they love to talk), spend time at a senior center . Get out of your comfort zone. You have to show ADCOMS that you can work with all kinds of people even under horrible circumstances. It’s time to show your altruism.

• Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
You have a LOT of emergent care stuff that I lump together as a group on the same theme. It's leadership development from volunteer firefighter to an EMT... or at least a step up, isn't it? If not, it's really similar. Can you arrange in chronological order to see if this is true? (Why are you a volunteer firefighter after having done all that work as an EMT and ED tech?)

Where's your 100-150 hours of community service (see @candbgirl 's comment)?

Can you shadow physicians who are in areas less associated with emergent care? Family doc/IM? Urology? (I see that ENT.)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I echo the thoughts of candbgirl and Mr. Smile. You absolutely have the clinical experience but your activities outside that don’t diversify your app by much. Double check your hours for rugby. I am unfamiliar with the time set aside for that, but I imagine if you were playing at the Div 1 level (for multiple years too if that’s the case) that you would have more.

Your activities hang together and tell a story of someone who does well in episodic, short-term engagement in situations that are time-sensitive and that require teamwork. You are able to control any fear you have for your own safety and you are serving your community in a way that those in the community can't do themselves (volunteer firefighters are serving people who would lose their property and perhaps even their lives without the services of neighborhood volunteers).

Don't listen to anyone who tells you you need to do more.

Thank you for your service. (~Daugher of a volunteer firefighter)

Reactions: 1 user
Your activities hang together and tell a story of someone who does well in episodic, short-term engagement in situations that are time-sensitive and that require teamwork. You are able to control any fear you have for your own safety and you are serving your community in a way that those in the community can't do themselves (volunteer firefighters are serving people who would lose their property and perhaps even their lives without the services of neighborhood volunteers).

Don't listen to anyone who tells you you need to do more.

Thank you for your service. (~Daugher of a volunteer firefighter)
Thank you @LizzyM , I really appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user