Does a school textline count for nonclinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crying9to5

Reaction score
I volunteer for my school's crisis textline, where I support fellow students through whatever they're going through and direct them to the right resources. Is this considered nonclinical volunteering? I ask because I've heard that you must be serving those different from yourself, but I'm helping my peers, not people in the wider community.

Members don't see this ad.

My bigger issue with this (and others can chime in to discredit me if I’m wrong) is that it’s pretty inappropriate for an undergraduate level untrained student to be handling situations like this, no?

Reactions: 1 user
My bigger issue with this (and others can chime in to discredit me if I’m wrong) is that it’s pretty inappropriate for an undergraduate level untrained student to be handling situations like this, no?
In regards to training, I had to participate in a semester-long course at my university in order to be qualified for this role. The people I have conversations with are entirely anonymous, and all I do is guide them toward solutions for whatever they are struggling with at the moment in a way that is supportive of their mental health. This is a warmline, not a hotline, so I am not qualified for situations such as if someone is actively suicidal (I do have to respond regardless, but that's beyond the scope of this question). I hope this helps provide some clarity.

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to training, I had to participate in a semester-long course at my university in order to be qualified for this role. The people I have conversations with are entirely anonymous, and all I do is guide them toward solutions for whatever they are struggling with at the moment in a way that is supportive of their mental health. This is a warmline, not a hotline, so I am not qualified for situations such as if someone is actively suicidal (I do have to respond regardless, but that's beyond the scope of this question). I hope this helps provide some clarity.

I would definitely explain that in your app then

I would advocate as non-clinical volunteering but it is health adjacent when it comes to alleviating distress. It doesn't give you a face to face connection, for obvious reasons. I would see about stretching beyond campus, or using these skills in more in-person roles like in a shelter.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I would advocate as non-clinical volunteering but it is health adjacent when it comes to alleviating distress. It doesn't give you a face to face connection, for obvious reasons. I would see about stretching beyond campus, or using these skills in more in-person roles like in a shelter.
I'll be seeking out some in-person roles beyond campus ASAP (I've been planning to resume working with children at a nearby public school). Thank you very much!

Most of the applications I read classify this as nonclinical volunteering when this is on the activities list, which I think is reasonable. It is true that you do want to try to get some in person experience working with underserved populations where you are outside your "comfort zone."

Reactions: 2 users
It is nonclinical volunteering, but please make sure that you also get some face-to-face nonclinical hours with a population that is underserved.