Final grades don't matter that much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been already talked about before but I would like to bring it up again. So I received a letter from COMP (after I paid both deposits) welcoming me to the class and telling me important dates coming up. I guess I'm pretty much set.

My concern is, it seems that I'm in no matter what. By that I mean, I can totally screw up my last 2 quarters grades and still be ok. The condition on the acceptance letter says the acceptance is contingent on "2)Your completion of all academic requirements currently in progress at a satisfactory level."

What this statement means to me is that I can get straight Cs for the last 2 quarters and still be fine. That would be 6 classes of Cs. Is this correct or am I reading it wrong.

P.S.: I'm writing this right before finals and so am partially looking for a reason not to stress about studying so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Shall we now call you slackness?

Just do how you'd normally do, because it'll show you have tenacity and drive even when you have the option of doing less. There will be lots of times when you'll be able to slack off but not doing so will make you that much better of a doc.

You wouldn't walk the last 30 yards of a marathon, would you?

Originally posted by that dr. jack
Shall we now call you slackness?

Just do how you'd normally do, because it'll show you have tenacity and drive even when you have the option of doing less. There will be lots of times when you'll be able to slack off but not doing so will make you that much better of a doc.

You wouldn't walk the last 30 yards of a marathon, would you?
:laugh: Nice jack. Slackness. I prefer my name now though. Yes I would walk the last 30 yards because by then I would be tired. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well then, you should relax because you deserve it. As long as you feel ok with it, get some Bs and have some fun!

Yea...I'm down with slickness. I wanna walk the last 30 yards of the marathon, because in 5 months, we will start our 7-8 year sprint!

Originally posted by WstSdDesi
Yea...I'm down with slickness. I wanna walk the last 30 yards of the marathon, because in 5 months, we will start our 7-8 year sprint!
Yea you make a good point. Cheers to slackers. :D

Originally posted by Slickness
Yea you make a good point. Cheers to slackers. :D

yeah, you're hardly a slacker though from what i've seen of you and how mcuh all those schools liked you. i can't imagine you'd get Cs without really not trying.

Originally posted by that dr. jack
yeah, you're hardly a slacker though from what i've seen of you and how mcuh all those schools liked you. i can't imagine you'd get Cs without really not trying.
Realistically I'll probably get Bs though. I'm just scared I might get some Cs. Fine then I'm not a slacker, I'm an undercover slacker.:clap:

I think the term "undercover slacker" is great. I fit this description beautifully. Lets add it to Websters.

Time to bitch: I have 3 tests this week along with a child observation project for this *****ic degree requirement 100 level course, I have no motivation for this crap anymore...

I would like to just say "F" it and take the C's. I have over 75 pages worth of papers to write yet. 4 presentations and a google of other crap that I probably have forgotten. I am just sick and tired of writing papers about crap I do not care about. Really we are talking about some stupid stuff in my opinion. I really wish I would have taken an easier semester. Damn.

At this point if your GPA drops a few tenths of a point the only person that is going to realize it is you. If you think it makes you a slacker and that bothers you then get the best grade possible.

Originally posted by raptor5
I would like to just say "F" it and take the C's. I have over 75 pages worth of papers to write yet. 4 presentations and a google of other crap that I probably have forgotten. I am just sick and tired of writing papers about crap I do not care about. Really we are talking about some stupid stuff in my opinion. I really wish I would have taken an easier semester. Damn.

At this point if your GPA drops a few tenths of a point the only person that is going to realize it is you. If you think it makes you a slacker and that bothers you then get the best grade possible.

I cannot agree with you more raptor5.
I , like many poeple, have chosen to leave electives for these final months and like you said, it is mainly writing and learning about stuff that I couldn't care less about.
I am sure that whatever grade I get in Marine Biology and Primate Biology will not hunt me for the rest of my years.

So I say, have fun, enjoy your time now, later it may be too late.

Walk the last 30 yrds? Are you crazy? Can someone carry me instead? if not just call me a taxi:D

Don't slack off, remember schools can yank your acceptances away if you don't perform the same way you have for the
last 3 1/2 years.

I do remember my last semester. I had a 5 credit embryology course with a lab and I spent the whole semester fighting senioritis. It was the class from h- _ -L-L. The work was load was HUGE. I almost ended with a C, which would have killed my GPA because it was a 5 credit course. OOOOOhhh, go away you bad memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared: :scared:

I know what you all are going through, but cheer up, YOU ARE ALMOST DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippeeee

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Amy B
Don't slack off, remember schools can yank your acceptances away if you don't perform the same way you have for the
last 3 1/2 years.
Yea but my avg gpa was a 3.7 or A- average. I don't feel like peforming like I used to. :p

last 3 1/2 years.

Has anyone actually known of a school doing this?
By the way, I was accepted without disclosing any of my senior year grades.

Originally posted by (nicedream)
I was accepted with only grades from my freshman, sophomore, and first quarter junior year. That's 5 quarters of no grades on my application. That's the beauty of applying early after your Junior year. :thumbup:

i know of one case of an acceptance being yanked away, but that was for undergrad...still a bit freaky. he did very well up to his last semester in high school (high 3.x) and got into harvey mudd college...he did poorly his last semester (2.5 range) and they called him up in the middle of the summer and told him he could not go there. luckily, CMU still took him in with his poor last semester GPA...however, i think this was a rare case.

Originally posted by (nicedream)

When I was accepted at WVU a few years back the letter said that I must turn in my last semester grades and if they weren't the same as they were going through school my acceptance could be taken away.

I ended up not going because I really didn't like the school, or the schedule, plus my husband couldn't find a job there and I hated the houses, etc.....

When I was accepted at WVU a few years back the letter said that I must turn in my last semester grades and if they weren't the same as they were going through school my acceptance could be taken away.

I ended up not going because I really didn't like the school, or the schedule, plus my husband couldn't find a job there and I hated the houses, etc.....
Hey Amy, do you now regret not going?

Even if I slack (which I am trying not to) my GPA will not be go up or down appreciably because of the 100+ other credit before now. Actually my GPA should go up after this semester. I am trying to keep a good work ethic for med school.

Seriously though, when I submit my final grades to the med school. Do they ask for final grades or just proof of graduation? Anyway they will receive this late summer. Yanking my acceptance will mean one payingperson in their school right. When was the latest someone got an acceptance letter? Just curious.

Raptor5

no...i think they just want final transcrips sent...not proof of graduation.....so yea...they will see your final grades...but the main problem is....can they do something about it?

a lot of the do schools require 90+ sem hours as a requirement.....not even a degree.....

Originally posted by Slickness
Hey Amy, do you now regret not going?

Actually no, I have no regrets. I wasn't happy there and really only applied because my husband got his 2 BS degrees from there.

The only thing I regret is losing the 2 years between that acceptance and getting this one. The school was WVU, just in case you are wondering. Quite frankly I hated Morgantown and all the hills. Every house we looked at seemed to fall off the end of the world in the backyard.

I love Blacksburg and really VCOM. I never felt at home when I was at the WVU med school campus like I do when I am at the VCOM campus. Just personal preference, I guess.

a lot of the do schools require 90+ sem hours as a requirement.....not even a degree.....

I think PCOM is one of the rare schools that require a Bachelor's degree before matriculation. If that was not the case I probably would not worry about graduating since I am finishing my degree in under 4 years (Oh yeah my grades have suffered as a result). I would probably just take classes I am interested in if they did not require the degree. I would have 120+ credits but would not meet the graduation requirements for any program.

sheesh... loz a slakas in da house....

man.. i have 2 more biology classes to finish to meet requirements for med school, i have already completed a bachelors of science in electrical engineering... i am working two jobs, and studying a few other things all at the same time. well... about 121 more days now... yay....

man... if i keep up this rate, ill be able to buy a corvette right before the start of school yay heheheeheh

:hardy:

Originally posted by cooldreams
sheesh... loz a slakas in da house....

man.. i have 2 more biology classes to finish to meet requirements for med school, i have already completed a bachelors of science in electrical engineering... i am working two jobs, and studying a few other things all at the same time. well... about 121 more days now... yay....

man... if i keep up this rate, ill be able to buy a corvette right before the start of school yay heheheeheh

:hardy:

and will have a heart attack by 40

eh... so i die young... :p

man... i need to find a woman... a best friend.......

hmmm... but no takers... oh well........

Interesting post, Slickness.

I think it reflects what all of us, who have already been accepted to medical school, can feel: restless to move on.

I've had a hard time focusing. One of my professors has an F as his class average and he won't budge it. Fortunately, I am far above the average but I still worry. The vibe of the class is nuts and .01 percent of the class has an A.

Several students hoping to matriculate to med school in the fall are subject to one last head-butte with a tenured prof. and they are nervous too.

Did you think about pass/fail with any of your classes?

Originally posted by gioia
Did you think about pass/fail with any of your classes?
Hey gioia,
I am trying to finish up my biology requirement and we can't do pass/fail for the bio classes. I would have but I can't.

Well, gee, Slickness - I'm sure you'll do fine! I guess you can feel better knowing you aren't in my class;) :confused: