Final impression technique/material for crown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Final impression technique

• Light body and putty single step

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Light body and putty two step

• Others

• Total voters

KEC029

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What do you dentists use for crown prep final impression, the material and technique wise?

I was taught with light body and heavy body pvs single step but seems like some dentists are using light body and putty single step. With light heavy body margins dont come out nice not all the time. With putty the subgingival margins come out great since it pushes the light body down but was told it's not too accurate rest of the prep because of the putty cannot capture the details.

I'm trying to see where the error is coming from if it's not the prep and cad/cam crowns then it has to be the impression right?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
What do you dentists use for crown prep final impression, the material and technique wise?

I was taught with light body and heavy body pvs single step but seems like some dentists are using light body and putty single step. With light heavy body margins dont come out nice not all the time. With putty the subgingival margins come out great since it pushes the light body down but was told it's not too accurate rest of the prep because of the putty cannot capture the details.

I'm trying to see where the error is coming from if it's not the prep and cad/cam crowns then it has to be the impression right?

I use light/heavy, but maybe more important than impression material is making sure you have the margins exposed, particularly for sub-g preps. I use a diode laser and/or 2 cords (#00/#0 or #1).

I use to use Aquasil Heavy and light body in a one step technique. I switched over to all Impegum!. I place some in a small syringe and inject around tooth and then seat the impression. Haven't had a single re-do!! I think there are multiple great ways to take a successful impression but you should do whatever works best in your hands.