Final List of Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trophyhusband

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it might be interesting to see where everyone is interviewing. Here's the quasi-final list (only possibly one or two changes) for my wife:

Baylor
Creighton/University of Nebraska
Indiana University
Rush
Texas A&M - Scott & White
University of Arizona
University of Colorado
University of Kansas
University of New Mexico
University of Oklahoma
University of Texas Health Science Center - San Antonio
University of Texas - Houston
University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston
University of Texas Southwestern
University of Washington

This is in alphabetical order and all of the schools on this list have an opportunity to be ranked #1. It should warm the cockles of OldPsychDoc's heart to see so many schools in fly over land :D. She had to turn down some really excellent programs but hopefully it opens up some spots for folks who are waiting on those programs. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Just thought it might be interesting to see where everyone is interviewing. Here's the quasi-final list (only possibly one or two changes) for my wife:

Baylor
Indiana University
Rush
University of Arizona
University of Colorado
University of Kansas
University of New Mexico
University of Oklahoma
University of Washington

This is in alphabetical order and all of the schools on this list have an opportunity to be ranked #1. It should warm the cockles of OldPsychDoc's heart to see so many schools in fly over land :D. She had to turn down some really excellent programs but hopefully it opens up some spots for folks who are waiting on those programs. Good luck everyone!

Albeit mostly Southern Fly-over Land... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank your wife for letting go of some of those west-coast interviews, trophy husband! :D Hopefully I will be able to post my final final list soon, but still waiting on a few schools, and still juggling a few interview slots.

That's a lot of airefare lol. How long do you think it will take to go to all of those interviews?

John Peter Smith(fort worth)
Eastern Carolina
UAB
West Virginia-charleston
Wake Forest
Texas A&M
Texas Tech-lubbuck
South Dakota
UKansas-Wichita
Wright State
LSU-NO
LSU-Shreveport
South Alabama

In no particular order:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
North Carolina
Ohio State
Med College of WI
Miami
Austin MEP
John Peter Smith (Ft. Worth)
Colorado (Aurora)
Indiana
Harvard Longwood
Rush (Chicago)
Loyola (Chicago)
Lutheran General (Chicago)
Kansas (Kansas City)
Missouri (Columbia)
Creighton/UNMC
Penn
UCSF
OHSU

Still waiting on:
Maricopa (Mesa, AZ)
UCSD
Illinois-Chicago
Palmetto
Univ. of Florida

I would like to interview at 12-13 max, but it's hard to turn down interview offers. I'm trying to schedule my least favorites for January and plan to cancel some if I feel comfortable with how things are going in late November/early December.

Last edited:
Omaha doc, I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're aiming for the city of Chicago for residency :D

That's a lot of airefare lol. How long do you think it will take to go to all of those interviews?

She'll be using a lot of my free flights and free hotel stays... and we're pretty centrally located so she can drive to quite a few as well. We budgeted a good chunk of money for the interview process among other things (away rotation and internation elective). Needless to say it's gonna be an expensive year :rolleyes:.

Actually all but four of the interviews fall within one month. She's gonna be a real peach after all of that travel!

(By geographic area)

California:
UCSF-Fresno
UC Davis
UCLA-Kern
UCLA-San Fernando Valley
Loma Linda
USC
California Pacific Medical Center

Northwest:
UW-Seattle main programme
UW-Spokane Track
Oregon (OHSU)

Southwest/Mountain
:
CU Denver
University of New Mexico
University of Arizona
UT-San Antonio

Midwest:
Ohio State University
University of Cincinnati
University of Louisville

East:
AECOM-Montefiore

Still eagerly waiting for with baited breath (in order of craving anticipation)

1.) UCLA - mom would be happy; close to home
2.) UCSF/Stanford/San Mateo/UCSD - distant, impractical dreams. Don't expect to get invited, but ecstatic if I do.
3.) UCLA-Harbor, UCI - would love to go, not sure what I'm missing for them

FAQ
1.) Dude are you really gonna go to all those interviews?

Um...yes. I will make every effort to attend all of them.

2.) Why are you going to so many interviews?

I applied to way too many programmes (35 in all) due to poor board scores and low class ranking, and apparently greatly underestimated myself. Nevertheless I feel obliged to attend as many as I can squeeze in. I've already had to cancel quite a few. I think it'll be a fun opportunity to see a lot of the country, and gorge myself on free dinners.

3.) How will you afford all this?

I have saved up quite a "war chest" from unused student loans. Future Messerschmitts will have to take extra call and work extra shifts to pay it back.

4.) Are you crazy?

Some would say psychiatry is filled with people who want to find out what's wrong with themselves. :D

Last edited:
I have 17 scheduled also, one of which lasts 2 days (3 if you include dinner the night before). The kicker for me is I don't even get started until late November (sub-I next month). Everyone is telling me I'm insane, but of course that just makes me more eager to prove them all wrong. For a month of free food galore and traveling, how bad can it be?

I'm very happy with my list so far, but really would like at least 1 or 2 more to flow in just to make sure I end up somewhere. If anyone knows anyone at yale, harvard, boston u, mass gen, upenn, pitt, or tufts boston, I could certainly use an interview :p

Scheduled interviews:

Institute of Living/Hartford
University of Connecticut
Baystate Medical/Tufts
UMDNJ-Robert Wood
Cooper
Albany
Albert Einstein Philadelphia
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Brown
UMDNJ-SOM
Drexel

Declined:
UMDNJ-Newark
Seton Hall

Had to cancel interview:
Allegheny General due to Brown interview

By the way is anyone having a tough time reading the faculty at their interviews? So far I'm not really able to tell how much they are really interested or disinterested in me. Is this something that they generally make known at interviews? Does it come later on before you make your rank list? I hope I'm coming across well, but really have no idea at this point.

Last edited:
Banner (Phoenix, AZ)
Maricopa (Mesa, AZ)
U of New Mexico
U of Missouri, KC
U of Missouri, Columbia
Saint Louis U
U of Iowa
U of Wisconsin
Vanderbilt

Declined: Loyola, U of Chicago (I decided Chicago is not the place for me)

:luck: to all!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way is anyone having a tough time reading the faculty at their interviews? So far I'm not really able to tell how much they are really interested or disinterested in me. Is this something that they generally make known at interviews? Does it come later on before you make your rank list? I hope I'm coming across well, but really have no idea at this point.

You're being interviewed by psychiatrists - cool clinical distance is something we do quite well.

Good point Doc. Changing pictures again I see?

Last edited:
I still haven't entirely decided. Here's what I've got for sure right now.

Oklahoma-Tulsa
Wash U
U of New Mexico
Harbor-UCLA
U of Washington
Northwestern
U of Colorado
USC
OHSU
Dartmouth
Brown
UCSD
UC - Davis

I'll likely go to Utah and Nevada-Reno. I'm thinking about canceling UNC just because of the overbooked schedule, and the location isn't exactly what I'm going for right now (even though I know it's nice). I'm also thinking about Maine Medical Center.

The only places I haven't heard from yet at UCLA and Cedars-Sinai.

And talking about expenses, the thing that's killing me right now is hotel rooms. When you go from where I live to the west coast, you can't catch a flight back the night of the interview, so every interview requires at least 2 hotel nights. My family is donating some frequent flyer miles to me so that'll help. And my school lets us borrow a ridiculous amount of money 4th year.

Thats quite a list doc bagel, fantastic. Yeah im running into overbooking too, i tried to lessen the financial hardship by applying in a contained area but i have a heck of a lot of driving to do when leaving at night and showing up for rotations the next day. Still hopeing to hear from at least one or two more onmy list and keeping my fingers crossed.

When you go from where I live to the west coast, you can't catch a flight back the night of the interview, so every interview requires at least 2 hotel nights.

I have that exact problem! I had no idea in the past that, unlike international flights, domestic flights do not run 24 hours, and that they basically stop from 1am to 6am (I guess pilots need to sleep :p). Thus with the 3-hour time difference there is no way you can fly out eastbound post-interview and make it back to your home institution in time for work the next day.

My extra problem is that at my institution, if you are not taking the month off, you are only allowed 2 days off for interview. And from what I hear they are fairly strict about that because of past abuse from students who would sign up for a 4 week rotation and basically show up for only 3 of those weeks. Thus I want to squeeze in the maximum number of interviews I can, and I don't want to expend 2 precious days on a single interview.

So far I've gotten around it by scheduling west coast interviews on Fridays, so that I can take my sweet time coming back. However that still means 2 hotel nights. I am planning on just staying at the cheapest, most disgusting $30/day motel for most of the trail, but I may change my tune later on after some horror stories, I'm sure.

Johns Hopkins
SUNY Upstate
Thomas Jefferson
University of Arkansas
University of Cincinnati
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of North Carolina
University of Pennsylvania
Wake Forest
Washington University in St. Louis
WPIC
+ 4 med/psych programs

I'll probably have to cancel Dartmouth and Mayo.

Still waiting on George Washington. They must be one of the programs waiting for the MSPE.

Last edited:
I've been itching to join in the fun of this thread, but my list is far from final. I can't hold back anymore, though, so here's my tentative list.

By location:
San Mateo
California Pacific
UC Davis
USC
Cedars-Sinai
Harbor-UCLA
UCLA - SFV
UC Irvine
UC San Diego

NYU
MSSM

Cambridge
Boston U
Harvard South Shore

Waiting on: UCSF, UCLA, Columbia, Cornell, Longwood

Last edited:
I am planning on just staying at the cheapest, most disgusting $30/day motel for most of the trail, but I may change my tune later on after some horror stories, I'm sure.

Marriott's will have shuttles that pick people up from the airport and take you to them at no cost. I've even had some take me to the interview and from the interview to the airport. This makes paying for a more expensive place worth it. :)

Messerschmitts: I haven't booked any hotels yet (I'm staying with friends or family for the most part), but when I do get around to scheduling hotels I plan to use priceline. If you go to http://www.betterbidding.com/ first, you can figure out how to get the absolute cheapest hotel reservations.

I have that exact problem! I had no idea in the past that, unlike international flights, domestic flights do not run 24 hours, and that they basically stop from 1am to 6am (I guess pilots need to sleep :p). Thus with the 3-hour time difference there is no way you can fly out eastbound post-interview and make it back to your home institution in time for work the next day.
Are there any red-eye flights? If you are lucky enough to fly out of a major airport like LAX or SFO, you might be able to get back to your home hospital in time.

CVG does have high ticket prices though. :scared:

Are there any red-eye flights? If you are lucky enough to fly out of a major airport like LAX or SFO, you might be able to get back to your home hospital in time.

CVG does have high ticket prices though. :scared:

CVG is pretty ridiculous, but it's been more reasonable recently with the economic downturn. Unfortunately there was just an industry-wide $10 price hike across all major airlines today, signalling that the economy is on the upswing, and airplane tickets are about to get a lot more expensive. :(

Yeah, if you are flying out of a major airport with direct flights to your home institution you can sometimes make a red-eye flight. However if you are going to places like Spokane, WA or even Sacramento, CA where you must connect flights there is no way.

(By geographic area)

California:
UCSF-Fresno
UC Davis
UCLA-Kern
UCLA-San Fernando Valley
USC
Cedras-Sinai Medical Center

Northwest:
UW-Spokane Track
Oregon (OHSU)

Southwest/Mountain:
CU Denver
University of New Mexico
University of Arizona
UT-San Antonio

Midwest:
Ohio State University
University of Cincinnati
University of Louisville

East:
AECOM-Montefiore

And as of to prove that no final list is ever truly final ;) here is the revised final interview list!

Austin Medical Education Program
Baylor
Indiana University
University of Arizona
University of Colorado
University of Kansas
University of New Mexico
University of Oklahoma
University of Washington

(By geographic area)

California:
UCSF-Fresno
UC Davis
UCLA-Kern
UCLA-San Fernando Valley
USC
Cedras-Sinai Medical Center

Northwest:
UW-Spokane Track
Oregon (OHSU)

Southwest/Mountain:
CU Denver
University of New Mexico
University of Arizona
UT-San Antonio

Midwest:
Ohio State University
University of Cincinnati
University of Louisville

East:
AECOM-Montefiore
Why did you drop Loma Linda?

Ah well, I would love an invitation from them!

Me too, I hope they give me yours Messer. ;)

As of now...

AECOM - Beth Israel
AECOM - Bronx/Montefiore
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth
Mayo Clinic
University of Alabama - Birmingham
University of Colorado - Denver/Aurora
UCSF - Fresno
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
University of Oregon

That is ten that I have planned now, I hope that's enough.

I just didn't feel like I would be happy at Loma Linda, after a bit more introspection. A bit too religious for a heathen like me. Given that I'm already doing 17 other interviews, I thought it would probably be better I not take up an interview slot from someone who might be a better fit there. :p

Last edited: