Final rank lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Cornell
2. Mt. Sinai
3. Columbia
4. Stanford
5. NYU
6. U Chicago
7. Blah
8. Blah
9. Bla

Best of luck to everyone in the match. Hope everyone posts....all the anonymity and lurking doesn't matter now.

Members don't see this ad.

So this aint no elitist list, but ill contribute-
1- Mayo- az -the inlaws just finished building a pool in PV that puts my HOUSE to shame (damn shouldnta married a rich girl,but love the negative edge pool and year round BBQs)
2- Penn state- small town, cool peeps
3- Texas A&M- Down home and red neck- just like me
4- MCW- BRRR but grant funding - red neck scientist strikes again!
5- Arizona- Yeah bikers and hippie chicks, i can grow my hair again
6- UTSW- I wanna be a bad ass!
had another 4 but my only reasoning is i wanna pass gass and if i get down there i dont really care how :thumbup:

good luck to every one !!!

BID
Dartmouth
CWH
Penn
MGH
JH
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Yale
Georgetown
UNC
UMDNJ-Newark

I'm interested in pain, so I wanted a residency that would set me up for a great fellowship. BWH dropped down because I thought I would be worked to the bone, and the chair point blank told me "you will not be able to start and finish a research project here," which is important to me, and a must for fellowships. Both Penn and MGH are revamping their pain programs, but you never know what direction they will take. I really didn't like Gaiser's "teaching" at my interview, and I didn't get a great feel from he or the chair. MGH and JH dropped down with the future changes in Chair/PD. I went to college at Dartmouth, and my boyfriend's family is in the area; plus they have a lot of pain research, and their fellowship is a hidden jem. Loved BID, though, and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. NYU
2. Ochsner
3. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
4. UTSW
5. UT Knoxville
6. Nebraska
7. Miami
8. Kentucky
9. Tulane
10. UTMB
11. Mississippi

1)columbia
2)sinai
3)yale
4)nyu
5)umich
6)dartmouth cat
7)dartmouth adv
8)RWJ
9)UIC
10)SLR

3/15.....:scared:

passthegas- I think the programs you interviewed at are strong. This, however, is not enough information to tell if you will match or not... It's really all about your application (LORs, rank, boards, MD vs DO) and your personality.

I think the fact that you ranked 12 places gives you an extremely good chance at matching.

Good luck in the match, I hope you end up at Northwestern. I did a month rotation there, and there is no question that you would get excellent training.

All this being siad, NW is still my top choice for Chicago programs because of the location, as well as the strong regional, peds, ICU and obs training. Mulloy and Sullivan are genuinely nice guys and strong resident advocates. Stock???

Shoot!!! i didn't know all these on that day of the interview, either that or the stuff in that purple binder are totally misleading. And I thought the chief resident was saying how Dr. Stock is very approachable and residents' advocates or was that a lie??

1. BWH
2. UCSF
3. MGH
4. BID
5. Stanford
6. Cornell
7. Columbia
8. Penn
bla bla bla...

Penn State seems to have done well, based on those rank lists that include it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your words N2bait, but who is leaving NWM?? during my day of interview, i thought Dr. Sullivan is a very nice guy and i had feeling that he is a very cool guy to work with. But the PD was kinda weird, he fired a lot weird questions and sometimes i didn't even have time to finish my answers.

And seriously, i really hate prg that gives out false image. I think we should have the post something like "buyers be aware" thread in this forum for the future applicants..

...and about the PD at NW. His interview was totally weird, but he is a really cool guy who is easy to get along with. He warned me way ahead of time about his interviewing style, so I didn't sweat it.

And seriously, i really hate prg that gives out false image. I think we should have the post something like "buyers be aware" thread in this forum for the future applicants..

Guys, this is exactly why they have dinner and DRINKS before interview day (or at least the strong progs do). When the ETOH is flowing the truth about work hrs, malignant attendings, poor resident advocacy, ****ty board pass rates, residents transfering into more cush progs, etc... comes out. This was my experience namely at Columbia, UPenn and Yale to list a few. All the propaganda being forced down your throats on the interview day is worth as much as a tv infomercial on saturday morning.

On a side note.. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!
Even though i matched last yr, i still get nervous/excited for everyone.

I'm currently a resident here at NOrthwestern and I'll give you a straight answer about our program. First, yes last year we did have about 7 attendings leave the program. The main reason: contract issues, which have now been addressed, making NW attednings the highest paying academic program in Chicago Secondly, n2bait, before jumping to conclusions and assuming that good attendings are leaving because they're unhappy, please get your facts straight. THe CT anesthesia attending you mention left solely because personal reasons necessitated a move to California, NOT because he was unhappy at Northwestern. Third, we have replaced and even exceed the number of attendings who left. The new attendings here are phenomenal and are really into teaching. For example, our neuroanesthesia program is now one of the resident's most favorite rotations because of the 2 new attendings we hired - Drs. Koht and Gupta - who are not only leading researchers in their field, but also great teachers, teaching residents at every opportunity

Yes, we work hard here, but we get great clinical training, expecially in peds, OB, and regional. If you ask any resident this year how happy they are, I am 100% guaranteed that every single one will say that they are happy being at Northwestern. N2 bait, I'm sorry that you felt we were being dishonest, but I was at your dinner, even at your table, the night before, and I know for a fact that everything that was told about our program was 100% true. As cutdacheese said, that's the reason why we have our dinner with the residents only, the night before. We, as residents, will give it to you as it is, and, since I was at most of the recruitment dinners this year, I know that we didn't hide anything.

I would be glad to answer any more questions about NW - just send me a private message. Good luck to everybody on March 15th!

Hi everybody, you may have noticed that I have deleted some earlier posts. The reason for this is that I do not want to say anything negative about the NW program, and it is now apparent that people have taken my comments negatively. I was just trying to answer people's questions honestly, and in retrospect should have pm'd people individually, and NOT posted on a public forum. I never said, and did not mean to insinuate, that attendings were leaving for any particular reason. The good thing is that they recognize it and were working to deal with it, and now (see ND's post) they have.

I will say it again, and for the last time: I REALLY LIKE the program at NW, and would be ecstatic to match there. The facilities are amazing, the subspecialty training is unmatched, and they will prepare you for academics, private practice, or get you any fellowship you want. And there are excellent resident advocates as well (see Mulloy and Sullivan).

Good luck to everyone!

Maybe this thread can now get back to its original purpose. :thumbup:

1. U Wisc (great personalities & atmosphere plus strong academics)
2. Mayo Rochester
3. Vandy
4. Kentucky
5. Michigan
6. NW
7. U Chicago
...plus a few others.

For those junior medical students who may try to use lists like this to make decisions on where to interview next year, keep in mind that A LOT more goes into a list like this than just the academic quality of the program. Everyone has different needs (spouse's career, proximity to family, cost of living, life outside the OR, etc).

Just 19 more days. Stop second-guessing yourself. Enjoy the ride. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
1. Mt Sinai
2. Brigham
3. Penn

1. Penn
2. Yale
3. JHU
4. Dartmouth
5. U of Rochester

1. Mercy
2. Kansas(Witchita)
3. Texas Tech (Lubbock)
4. Brigham
5. MGH
6. Duke
7. BID
8. UCSF

I am really hoping for one in my top three but will settle with 4-8. Good Luck.

1. Mercy
2. Kansas(Witchita)
3. Texas Tech (Lubbock)
4. Brigham
5. MGH
6. Duke
7. BID
8. UCSF

I am really hoping for one in my top three but will settle with 4-8. Good Luck.

Did you post your rank list upside down? J/K. Hope you end up in Pittsburgh.

Gainesville
UPenn
CCF
Irvine
UMich
Yale
LomaLinda
CWRU
Vanderbilt
UChicago
Emory
USC
UK
UCLA Harbor

guess it can't hurt now, right? all are advanced positions.

emory
UAB
UT Knoxville
Vanderbilt
Duke
Mayo Jacksonville
UF

einstein
west penn
penn state
UF
umass
uconn
maimonides
temple
drexel
syracuse

LOL, trisomy13 hit it right on the nail. I also got a better vibe at west penn, PD and associate PD are both awesome people; talked about astrology and cracked jokes with them, laidback and nice faculty, hrs are great, good didactics & clinicals, moonlighting. :D

LOL, trisomy13 hit it right on the nail. I also got a better vibe at west penn, PD and associate PD are both awesome people; talked about astrology and cracked jokes with them, laidback and nice faculty, hrs are great, good didactics & clinicals, moonlighting. :D

not worried about merger talks, I take it. good luck to you! (and sorry- hershey over pittsburgh anyday ;))

1. UConn
2. UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson (New Brunswick)
3. UMass
4. Albert Einstein
5. West Penn
6. NUMC

I'm couples matching but its something like this

JHU
PSU
UConn - b/c my g/f got an interview there it's getting ranked higher but I really loved this program. Prolly the best interview I had
UNC
MUSC
Downstate
Drexel
Einstein
Tulane
Maimo

not worried about merger talks, I take it. good luck to you! (and sorry- hershey over pittsburgh anyday ;))

You're thinking of Mercy.

W Penn is on the right track with Troianos at the healm. All those new people he brought in there are down with his plan. Don't know what the heart cases are like there, but if he's teaching on any of them, I'm sure it's good stuff.

You're thinking of Mercy.

W Penn is on the right track with Troianos at the healm. All those new people he brought in there are down with his plan. Don't know what the heart cases are like there, but if he's teaching on any of them, I'm sure it's good stuff.

oops. :) I forgot there were 3 out there. I silly.

It's an underrated program that will leave you with strong clinical skills. And Dr. Kim (at the AGH site) is one of the nicest faculty you will encounter.

I saw plenty of heart cases as a med student at AGH alone, and I'm sure they do a ton at WP also.

1)UCSD
2)UAB
3)UCSF
4)Emory
5)Stanford
6)UNC
7)etc
8)etc
9)etc

1. U. Rochester
2. PSU
3. MCG
4. Indiana U.
5. Case
6. UCONN
7. etc...
8. etc...
9. etc...
10. etc...

1. JHU (adv)
2. JHU (cat)
3. Penn (adv)
4. Maryland
5. UNC (adv)
6. UNC (cat)
7. NYU

(1) JHU
(2) BWH
(3) Columbia
(4) UCSF
(5) Vanderbilt
(6) BID
(7) Cornell
(8) U Mich
(9) NW
(10) U Chicago
etc etc etc

Good luck everyone (sooo close yet so far away!)

1. OHSU
2. Univ. Vermont
3. Utah
4. U Washington
5. UNC
6. U of AZ
7.CU- Denver
8. Maine Med
9. Yale
10. Univ. Nebraska

I just reviewed some of the last few posts and I didn't see my residency (UNM) on anyones list. I guess I went to a pretty pathetic place.:laugh:

for what its worth, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I just reviewed some of the last few posts and I didn't see my residency (UNM) on anyones list. I guess I went to a pretty pathetic place.:laugh:

for what its worth, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

It's just that these guys don't know about breakfast burritos with green chile and those delicious cinamon rolls on central avenue.