Huskie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
Status
What are your thoughts on U of A? I know that they are expanding their program? Are they going to have enough work to go round numbers wise? I have heard that cardiac and neuro may be problematic there? Any truth to this? Thanks for your help.

IN2bait

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
Huskie said:
What are your thoughts on U of A? I know that they are expanding their program? Are they going to have enough work to go round numbers wise? I have heard that cardiac and neuro may be problematic there? Any truth to this? Thanks for your help.
This program is recognized on a national level. It would be a great place to train.

Lefty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Virginia
Visit site
Status
Regional stuck out to me as the biggest weakness. But, they had pulled in a new faculty member who had done a regional fellowship at VM specifically to improve the regional experience/numbers at U of AZ. Peds they admitted was a little weak if limited to Tucson, but the optional month in Phoenix (I believe it was optional?) seemed like it provided adequate training.

When I interviewed at U of WA the PD, Dr. Ross, during my interview with him asked where else I had applied. When I mentioned U of AZ he said he felt like they were a "diamond in the rough" and appeared to be a good program.

I liked their program and I will rank them highly for location/family proximity issues. The residents all seemed happy and they were all pretty cool people that I could get along with. I'm not sure how their reputation is overall though. I wonder if I wanted to go outside of AZ how easy it would be to get a job. Anyone care to comment more on their national reputation?

Also, it seemed as though the training their was adequate. But I didn't really notice any exceptional areas of training. Anyone care to comment on strenths of U of AZ?

I'm interested to see what others thought.

Thanks,

Lefty