Finally a HOSPITAL job... new hire needs ADVICE!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmDGrad2010

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

So after my 6th interview I finally got a HOSPITAL job yahoo!!! It starts in 2 weeks but I'm terrified and I desperately need advice!

The thing is I'm scared because I KNOW I forgot so much of my education and I'm even more terrified (actually mortified) of making a MISTAKE!!!! I could hurt someone. I know there is training but I'm also afraid of looking stupid. There is so much I need to review. Heck I don't even know what their formulary is and so many thoughts in my head are here.

Can someone who's gone through this stage give me advice on what to expect - anything would be helpful from from pharmacy to colleagues.
 
Buy a notebook that has at least one pocket to hold papers and stuff. Write down everything while you are training. Codes, addresses for useful web sites, phone numbers you'll use on the job, names of key people, etc.

Find out if the hospital has subscriptions to useful online services like Lexi Comp, Micromedex, UpToDate, and/or Clinical Pharmacology. Make sure you know how to access them and have any login info you might need. At my job we use Globalrph.com a lot.

They won't expect you to know their formulary right off, but ask for a list or a website so you can access the info quickly. Make special notes of the formulary choices in major categories: statins, ARBs, PPIs, etc. Also ask about where to access institutional guidelines for specific drugs and drug classes.

Most of all, relax. They know that you will need training. Just go slowly and pay attention. When someone is showing you something, if you don't understand...TELL THEM. Don't nod your head if you don't really get something. You want to really understand what you're doing, so don't fake it.

You'll be fine. Good luck and congrats!
 
How long did it take you to get a job and what did you do about student loans and other obligations while you were job hunting?

Why don't you review some of your old NAPLEX stuff? I liked the APhA book.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long did it take you to get a job and what did you do about student loans and other obligations while you were job hunting?

Why don't you review some of your old NAPLEX stuff? I liked the APhA book.

^SERIOUS job hunting - about 6 weeks but I applied to every hospital position out there (within 45 min drive). I almost lost hope so I started applying 4-6 hours in more rural area and I got a telephone interview within 2 days of application. Pretty much says, the further away you apply from a pharmacy school the easier it it to get a job. I did get a full time position. Community is a lot easier (tried it for fun and got 2 offers) to get a job at but you should contact a district manager or a recruiter for that retail pharmacy (unlike hospitals do not apply online).


@All4MyDaughter thanks for your input
 
Congrats!
  • Write down notes as much as you can.
  • Make sure you know which drugs need prior approval by management
  • Get to know the techs and respect their experience
  • Ask the opinions of your coworkers if you have uncertanties about any of your consults
  • Don't be afraid to quickly research a drug info question for a nurse or doc instead of pushing it off on the clinical pharmacist (so long as it doesn't impede workflow too much)
  • And definitely don't follow the bad habits of your coworkers.

 
Hey,

So after my 6th interview I finally got a HOSPITAL job yahoo!!! It starts in 2 weeks but I'm terrified and I desperately need advice!

The thing is I'm scared because I KNOW I forgot so much of my education and I'm even more terrified (actually mortified) of making a MISTAKE!!!! I could hurt someone. I know there is training but I'm also afraid of looking stupid. There is so much I need to review. Heck I don't even know what their formulary is and so many thoughts in my head are here.

Can someone who's gone through this stage give me advice on what to expect - anything would be helpful from from pharmacy to colleagues.


  • You don't need the list of formulary that has 3,000 drugs. But you'll be better served with the Formulary Substitution List...which will be about 20 or so classes, so you'll know to make the substitutions when you process orders.
  • Learn your IV Fluids, and what drug goes into what IV fluid. So get your IV med concentration list.
  • Get a copy of your Antibiogram.
  • Find a mentor.
  • Walk around the hospital and introduce yourself to everyone..including the environmental service folks.
  • Take care of your nurses and go the extra step. Then they'll take care of you.
  • Walk around the pharmacy and make a mental note and know where everything is.
  • Take care of your pharm techs. Bring them donuts once in a while.
  • Get to work early. Leave late. But don't abuse the over time.
  • Volunteer for projects no one wants to do.
  • Make sure you learn the Pharmacy Operating System backward and forward.
  • Make sure you learn everyone's name not only in the pharmacy but everyone you work with..and call them by their name.
 
Every place does things differently, so don't worry about learning or unlearning things. I'll have to do that when (if?) I get another job.

One other thing, and this is true no matter where you work but hospitals seem to be especially notorious for this. There are going to be people who are immune from disciplinary action, and can get away with anything, even stealing drugs, patient abandonment, or HIPAA violations. Just do your job and deal with it.
 
Congrats! An on the 6th interview. My 2nd cousin went through 11 until he landed one in the deep suburbs of northeastern Illinois. Of course he had to take it but he started off at 108k.
 
Just take notes. Write down everything because it might seem easy to remember, but when it comes time for you to do it, you will forget. I wrote down basically every single thing. Now when I go back to look at them, I can't even believe some of the stuff I even wrote down. I'd go through and throw the things that I feel very comfortable with. I organize my notes by drug names, in alphabetical order (of course not every single drug, just the "special" ones). It's all about learning the computer system. Once you get that down, things will be a lot easier.
 
  • Take care of your pharm techs. Bring them donuts once in a while.

👍👍 This is so true. My pharmacist buys me lunch every so often (or just asks) whenever I go out to get their lunch and it makes it seem like they care about you. It makes it easier to stay longer to help them out even though your shift is over.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was offered 85K in SC out of school for a hospital job.

That is so low. When one of the bigger hospitals told me that they offer $85K a year, my jaw just dropped. This was when there was still a shortage.
 
Which state is this hospital in that is offering $85k. I live in new york and $85k is too low. Most hospitals start staff rph at around $100k. On the other hand, cost of living in NY is one of the highest in the world. Anyway, good luck to you and congrats! 🙂

I have a question that is somewhat related to this thread. What would you guys think would be an appropriate rate increase (% wise) I should be expecting for a rph going from hybrid staff to full clinical. I'm currently a hybrid/staff rph and will expect to get my BCPS this year.



Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk