Finally done, DAT 01/08/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mh1908

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I took DAT today, finally.

PAT 22
QR 21
RC 16
BIO 23
G.CHEM 23
O.CHEM 27
TOTAL SCIENCE 24
ACADEMIC AVERAGE 22

Rc was the weakest part for me always since I am an international

student. Is it good enough score to get in any dental school?

I heard many state schools don't accept international students.

Since my dream schools are state schools, so I am so worried about.

Also, I am really worried about one more thing.

I am going to a university now, but I used to go to a community college until last spring.

When I came to America first, 2 years ago, I went to the c.c.

So, most of credits I have taken are from the community college.

And, I used to go to a university in my country. So, I have abot over 40 credits from my country(at that time, I was majoring in

business), and 40 credits from the C.C, and 40 credits from the university I am attending now. So far, I have got all A's in

America, but my GPA from my country is not that good.(about 3.6 over 4.5)

Would it have much effects on getting a dental school?

If anyone has a question for studying Dat,(even though it's not that good

score), I would be happy to help.

Good luck, everybody

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi!

Sorry that I can't help you with your questions. However, I'm also an international student, and I see you are the same situation with me next year, so hope that we can share any useful informations. I'm going to take DAT next year ( Jan 2011) and will apply for 2012-2013. When will you apply?

You got a very good score,so I'm sure that you did study very hard, didn't you? I also transfered from 2 years cc to University, and I'm senior now. I will graduate next Fall. Have you graduated yet? and what is your major?

My health advisor told me that it's much more difficult to apply for Dental School in U.s, just because we are not residents here. So I think I will apply some Dental schools in Australia and Canada, are you interested in applying other Dental schools outside U.s?

Looking forward to seeing your reply, good luck!

I am applying in this coming june.

I never thought about applying outside us.

Don't u have to take another test for that?

I am a junior now.

I am majoring in biology now.

Actually, my roommate who is also an international student is going to a

dental school now. He had better score on RC and Qr than I have. But, I

did better on Science. Afer final(it was done on dec. 21, I have studied

for 12 hours everyday even on christmas and new year day.) For biology,

taking some advanced biology class was helpful.

If u have any questions, just ask me.

May we ask what is your roommates's status? How did he get in? I bet it is not just score..

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying in this coming june.

I never thought about applying outside us.

Don't u have to take another test for that?

I am a junior now.

I am majoring in biology now.

Actually, my roommate who is also an international student is going to a

dental school now. He had better score on RC and Qr than I have. But, I

did better on Science. Afer final(it was done on dec. 21, I have studied

for 12 hours everyday even on christmas and new year day.) For biology,

taking some advanced biology class was helpful.

If u have any questions, just ask me.

I'm going to take Kaplan course next week( It lasts 4 months, once a week). Since I don't know any information about the DAT as well as a score calculation, I think going to classroom may keep me studying hard for the DAT.

My major is Biochemistry ( mostly emphasize on the Chemistry), and I got all A's except last semester, one of my Advanced Chemistry class is so hard that I didn't have enough time to study for others, and first B and C in my college years, it decreased my GPA around 3.8.

I have two more semesters, so I have to get the best grades for the rest.
Have you sent your transcripts to your school committee yet? I took one year ESL classes at my community college, and I wonder school will consider that to calculate GPA or not ( hopefully only college classes counted).

To apply for Dental school in Australia, I think they still consider DAT for international students, and we have more chances because we only compete to other international students ( not AUS citizens)

For Canada, they require a CAN DAT which I heard that it is easier than DAT in U.s

Congratulation to your roommate,my health advisor just told me that if I'm not residents here, no way that I can get into Dental school, make me feel so hopeless ( he didn't ask me for my GPA or st, just ask me will I plan to change my status to residents????)

Where are you studying now, and where are you from? Btw, the link below are two Dental schools in Aus that are graduate-entry ( very similar to Dental school in U.s), but if you are so confident for Dental school in U.s, you don't need to care about other Dental school outside U.s

1.http://www.dent.unimelb.edu.au/melbourne_model/index.html

2.http://www.dentistry.usyd.edu.au/student/bdent.php

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but those are great scores! As long as your GPA isn't too low I think you should have a fighting chance at most schools, minus the unfriendly to OOSers.

I'm going to take Kaplan course next week( It lasts 4 months, once a week). Since I don't know any information about the DAT as well as a score calculation, I think going to classroom may keep me studying hard for the DAT.

My major is Biochemistry ( mostly emphasize on the Chemistry), and I got all A's except last semester, one of my Advanced Chemistry class is so hard that I didn't have enough time to study for others, and first B and C in my college years, it decreased my GPA around 3.8.

I have two more semesters, so I have to get the best grades for the rest.
Have you sent your transcripts to your school committee yet? I took one year ESL classes at my community college, and I wonder school will consider that to calculate GPA or not ( hopefully only college classes counted).

To apply for Dental school in Australia, I think they still consider DAT for international students, and we have more chances because we only compete to other international students ( not AUS citizens)

For Canada, they require a CAN DAT which I heard that it is easier than DAT in U.s

Congratulation to your roommate,my health advisor just told me that if I'm not residents here, no way that I can get into Dental school, make me feel so hopeless ( he didn't ask me for my GPA or st, just ask me will I plan to change my status to residents????)

Where are you studying now, and where are you from? Btw, the link below are two Dental schools in Aus that are graduate-entry ( very similar to Dental school in U.s), but if you are so confident for Dental school in U.s, you don't need to care about other Dental school outside U.s

1.http://www.dent.unimelb.edu.au/melbourne_model/index.html

2.http://www.dentistry.usyd.edu.au/student/bdent.php

Thank you for sharing your information.

But I have some friends who are going to dental schools now.

Nowadays, it gets much harder to get in state dental school

but, for private schools, residency dosen't matter if you have

good scores.

I am going to University at Buffalo now, and my dream school is

buffalo dental school.

I think you don't have to worry about residency too much.

The most important is getting a good score on DAT and GPA.

Good luck on your study

Hi!

I was an international student when applying for undergrad, with terrible English SAT scores, and perfect math. I know Dental school is different, but as long as you stress your background in the apps, they will def take that into consideration. Good job on the scores! sit back and relax, you are in :)