Finally done - June 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtoothy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm FINALLY done...

Bio 19
GC 22
OC 25
PAT 22
RC 20
QR 20
TS 21
AA 21

To study, I used Kaplan, Destroyer, and TopScore. I also referred to Campbell's Bio and McMurry's Orgo a bunch of times if I was confused about something. Bio was seriously exactly what everyone else said - completely random. I was scoring in the low 20s on all my practice tests and thought I was the best prepared for that section, but that just goes to show you how weird this test can get...

My practice scores were ALL OVER THE PLACE...seriously. I got a 15 on Orgo yesterday on my last Kaplan practice test. Believe me, I know how discouraging those practice tests can be at times, but just keep a clear mind and you'll be fine.

PAT was definitely harder than anything I used. I normally scored 23-25 on the practice tests, but the angles really are 1 degree apart and the other stuff can get tricky too.

I was doing well on RC and QR too, but during the real thing, it felt like I was running out of time. The reading passages seem a bit longer and of course, QR can get really tough.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum - it really helped to have this kind of support network before the exam. For those who have yet to take it, good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm FINALLY done...

Bio 19
GC 22
OC 25
PAT 22
RC 20
QR 20
TS 21
AA 21

To study, I used Kaplan, Destroyer, and TopScore. I also referred to Campbell's Bio and McMurry's Orgo a bunch of times if I was confused about something. Bio was seriously exactly what everyone else said - completely random. I was scoring in the low 20s on all my practice tests and thought I was the best prepared for that section, but that just goes to show you how weird this test can get...

My practice scores were ALL OVER THE PLACE...seriously. I got a 15 on Orgo yesterday on my last Kaplan practice test. Believe me, I know how discouraging those practice tests can be at times, but just keep a clear mind and you'll be fine.

PAT was definitely harder than anything I used. I normally scored 23-25 on the practice tests, but the angles really are 1 degree apart and the other stuff can get tricky too.

I was doing well on RC and QR too, but during the real thing, it felt like I was running out of time. The reading passages seem a bit longer and of course, QR can get really tough.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum - it really helped to have this kind of support network before the exam. For those who have yet to take it, good luck!

My hat of to you man. I am studying for the DAT, taking it August. How long did you study?(months) How many hrs per day? How many Chapters Per day? Did you wait till you finished studying before using the destroyer? Did you read kaplan blue book twice or once?? Please I need as much advice as possible. I am aiming for a 25 honestly.

good job, what were your Kaplan scores? on midterm, final, full lengths?
please do tell which is which.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
holy crap. congrats on the phenomenal scores. 20 on QR jesus lol, you're a beast!

Thanks so much, guys! Feels great to be done -- good luck for those who'll be taking it soon!

I honestly don't know HOW I managed those scores. I took the Kaplan course (kinda a waste of time unless you need a solid schedule) and used a lot of the material they had online. I studied hardcore for 2-3 weeks and didn't have any other obligations, which REALLY helped. I'd literally wake up and study, eat, and then go to bed. I think that's really essential for this exam. I read through the blue book once and then jumped into practice tests and Destroyer. Destroyer was the best resource I had, I think. I was scoring in the high teens for most of my Kaplan practice tests, but I consistently did well on PAT, QR and RC, all three of which were far harder on the real exam. Towards the last week, I took the TopScore tests and the extra Kaplan tests. I always scored about a 19 in the sciences, sometimes lower. The day before my exam, I went against the rules, took a practice test, and got a 15 in Orgo!!!! The thing is, the practice scores really don't matter as much as how much you review the questions you got wrong. I would literally spend hours going through my tests after I took them.

I was freaking out that last week, but I really tried to stay calm (I hardly ever do). I didn't review the morning of, even though I thought I would. It was way too stressful and wouldn't have been productive. It helped to think of it as just another practice test. Your concentration is also heightened during the exam, so that helps too!

So yeah, let me know if you need any other tips or have any questions! And GOOD LUCK! STAY MOTIVATED!!!

Wow nice job on the organic. Any tips there?

In my opinion, Orgo is pretty similar to the other practice test questions. It was really straightforward and there were 1-2 weird questions that tested you on exceptions or rare reactions, but that's all. I reviewed my old Orgo textbook a lot and I had taken awesome notes when I took the course, so I reviewed those as well. Destroyer is amazing...make sure you use that!

My hat of to you man. I am studying for the DAT, taking it August. How long did you study?(months) How many hrs per day? How many Chapters Per day? Did you wait till you finished studying before using the destroyer? Did you read kaplan blue book twice or once?? Please I need as much advice as possible. I am aiming for a 25 honestly.

Good luck! Work hard, and I'm sure you'll do fine!

I studied hardcore for 2-3 weeks, with absolutely nothing else to do. I took a lot of breaks in between, so I guess it was about 8 solid hours of studying per day. I did read through Kaplan before I touched Destroyer. I would do about 50 questions at a time and then go over them and see what I got wrong, then move on to the next 50, etc. I used Destroyer about a week and a half before my exam, alongside TopScore and Kaplan practice exams. Make sure you read the explanations thoroughly! It really helped!

So I'm FINALLY done...

Bio 19
GC 22
OC 25
PAT 22
RC 20
QR 20
TS 21
AA 21

Great job - especially on the ochem!

What were your quantitative reasoning and reading comp scores for your topscore practice tests, and if you don't mind what were your kaplan quantitative and reading comp scores.

My QR and RC scores were a lot higher on my practice tests...somewhere around 23, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. The real test is a bit harder because of nerves, time, and sometimes even the material.