finance Major for premed

BigY3997

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently a senior in high school and plan on being premed (MD) this fall at the university i choose to attend.still deciding between rutgers, uconn, penn state, and waiting on responses from NYU, GWU, lehigh, fordham, u of miami
my thought process is to not major in a science and I think that business, specifically finance, is a good choice for 2 reasons.
1- its different, and from what I know medical schools love different/unique
2- a business education can be an extremely valuable thing for a doctor running a practice
My question is how legitimate are those points? will i be putting myself in a situation where a competitive gpa would be too difficult to achieve by majoring in finance and also completing premed courses? realistically, by majoring in finance will i actually look better than the guy who majors in bio or premed or anything similar? lastly which of those schools would be a good premed school?
How difficult is it to also pledge a fraternity while maintaining a high gpa?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a great idea. Most people who enter college as pre-meds don't end up actually going to medical school, and a finance degree would be very helpful if you needed to find work after you graduate. Much better backup plan then the standard biochemistry degree.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's a good idea but I wouldn't try to bring it up in interviews if you don't have to. Money is taboo in medical training for some *****ic reason so it's probably not going to benefit you to mention any kind of financial knowledge. They'd rather you be financially illiterate honestly

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My UG degree is in finance and concentration in health and hospital administration. I enjoyed it and had an awesome 4 years in undergrad. Business programs are fun, especially if you enjoy working in teams. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is frustrated easily by group work, because case competitions and case presentations are abundant.

Overall it was a good experience. But I can honestly say in no interview did anybody ever specifically ask why I chose to major in business/finance versus a science. Go for what you're passionate about and what you think you can excel in. There's always a way to incorporate what you love into anything you do.

But I can honestly say in no interview did anybody ever specifically ask why I chose to major in business/finance versus a science.

My impression and experience has been that your college major is rarely a big topic of discussion in any professional school interview. I went to 3 PT school interviews and my major was never discussed.