Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Finances for the Non-Trad

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Mike MacKinnon, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Hey all

Well i just wanted to vent a little.

As non-trads we probably all question our decision to go back to school at an older age. Its a big step as we are all typically doing well finiancially and are in a secure job etc. So i just wanted to vent about it a bit

So. My wife and i are going to sell out house which we stand to make about 70K on and be absolutely debt free. We could do this and live very well as we are both RN's making very good money. However, instead of that, im gonna goto med school and spend that whole 70K plus another 100-140K orso putting us in unbelieveable debt. The thought of it pains me.

Now has this shaken my intent to become a physician, not at all. Does is make me cry, oh yah. heheh

Just wanted to share that with you all! ;)

2. blee

blee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Nearly all of my male friends from work have managed to keep their wives at home (in line with their wishes) while also buying The House to raise their 1- and 2-year-old kids. Those whose spouses chose to return to work are doing even better for themselves and have started to talk about college funds, long-term investment portfolios, etc. Yep, it kills me, too.

3. medicalbound

medicalbound Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yep, a couple of hundred smackers in debt is where I'm heading too. Isn't it funny that at this point, I'd like nothing better than to have the opportunity to have this problem? Waitlisted at one and awaiting decision at another. Just accept me and I'll gleefully swim in the bills to come! My wife's a strong swimmer and I'll get the floaties for the kiddos!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lol

well im far off from the actual admissions process.. but the though of such debt, as daunting as it is, would make me quite happy if i got in!

What a dicotomy we are in regards to the norm! Everyone else looking for stability and such, and here we are giving it up. lol

5. medicalbound

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If our traditional peers had any idea what we non-trads have to sacrifice to do the same thing they are, they might view their own plights in a different light.

If they only knew... +pity+

Heres to sutures and sacrifice!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. CoverMe

CoverMe Registered Republican
    7+ Year Member

Being willing to give up anything that's less important than THIS DREAM is what makes us Non-Trads so different. If there were any one thing (and yes, some may point to "life experience" "maturity" blah blah blah) that I think really makes it obvious that we're in this for the right reasons and have dedication to spare... it is this willingness to let go of personal accumulated wealth and security.

From the other side of the process from you guys (not really, i'm just an OMS-1), I can tell you that i still don't have any regrets. The reality is, in between the years of lost income, new undergrad debt (to get the pre-req's done), and the med school debt... it is doubtful that I will ever make up that total lost income. This isn't about money, this is about the one thing that I HAVE TO DO IN MY LIFE.

Just like the trapeze artist... you can swing back and forth, back and forth, back and forth FOREVER and never make any true forward progress. And it is only by LETTING GO, and flying thru the air holding onto NOTHING except the faith that you're going to reach the next bar, that you can move forward.

Let go and fly, my friends. It's SO worth it.

I took the philosophy that I'd rather have more debt, and get into school sooner... and I really couldn't recommend my route more highly (because it worked). Completely quitting my job and going back to school was a drastic move, and you've got to have a lot of faith that you're going to get to your destination... but I got here 2 years earlier than a few other non-trad friends who worked and did part-time school/MCAT/etc.

Go for it, my friends. Debt is a number in someone else's computer. Peace of mind is right here on my pillow every night. I turned 32 yesterday... and I can feel time is ticking. It's never too late, but sooner is better!! Take the debt and follow your dream!

7. maxhealth

maxhealth Langendorff Land
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys. Glad to see there are others in my boat! I have a great, well paying job in the sciences. I'm giving it up for school as well. I have to do it, or else I'll be pissed at myself for the rest of my life. I am scared as hell at the uncertainty and financial wreck ahead, but I can't wait to start school!

Are we all insane??? Possibly... but at least one day we'll be able to write our own antipsychotic scripts.

8. medicalbound

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, we shouldn't write them for ourselves (AMA would slap us with the unethical act of self-prescribing), but we could do it for each other! I can picture a group psych session for non-trad physicians now...

Shrink: "So doctors, how did you make it here?"
    Doc1: "$200k"
    Doc2: "$215k"
    Doc1: "amitriptyline"
    Doc2: "fluphenazine"
    Shrink: "Was it worth it?"
    Doc1 and Doc2: "Definitely!"

9. Orth2006

Orth2006 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm actually going to be in that delimna shortly as I wait feedback from the schools I applied to. I was just curious though - Are you selling your house to help pay for tuition? What about using the money to buy another house and earn some equity- afterall you gonna need a place to live anyways. That is what I'm thinking of doing with mine - Im single so it wont be affecting anyone but me. Depending on what state you in, by the time you done with MD your house may have appreciated much and you may be able to pay a huge chunk back for loans.

10. blee

blee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We're going to sell our house and use the equity to purchase another house in a market with lower prices, hopefully getting the mortgage payment in the range of a typical lease. As far as tuition is concerned, I'm going to take out loans for all of it. The wife, kid, and dog don't deserve to live in an apartment for the next ten years, just because of me. :)

11. Hey

Im lucky int hat respect. We are DINKS. (double income no kids). So we are selling the house anjd putting a small downpayment on a condo. We will be debt free and have about enough for the 1srt year and 3/4 of the second in cash. Loans for the last bit.

12. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm there. And I'll tell you, it hurts. Coming out of pocket is like being bent over for four years straight, but at least I'll be getting into med school debt-free.

13. Kim

I bet it hurts but feels great that your where u want to be?

Right now, it just hurts! hehe. Hopefully all will go well with physics and Ochem over this year and i manage a good MCAT mark. Then, its on baby!