Finances of Attending Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Would it be worth it to attend a cheaper DO medical school (LECOM) if I plan on applying for a competitive surgery residency? I have seen mixed opinions online about this school but it would save approximately 80k compared to other MD schools.
It's too difficult to generalize your situation. I would not blame people choosing a medical school due to lower cost of attendance and loan burden, but you could also get lucky and get a significant scholarship like HPSP, which I think opens quite a few doors for surgery. You also may be overlooking the endowments of some schools which could offer you some merit scholarship help.
 
OP, I agree with the above posters.
Firstly, in the grand scheme of things, what is worth more, your education or these loans? I'm an attending now and I will be paying off these loans for a long time. But, that's just it. They are loans. I'm not suggesting at all that financial situation before medical school isn't relevant, but the loans are the future. Of course, you should be smart with spending while in medical school and residency.
Second, yeah, you should consider the HPSP if you want to join the military. It would be a wonderful way to pay for medical school. But remember, you owe them years.