financial advice: GI vs HPSP

Started by Legion1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Legion1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am in a fortunate and odd position. As a veteran and a current Army Officer (Captain with 6 years in at matriculation), I have the benefit of both the GI Bill and the HPSP scholarship. Long term, my end goal is not to be a career military physician; my end goal is to be in a small primary care practice in a medium size city (though, I obviously know what it means to be a military officer and could deal with it for a few more years). I am having a tough time figuring out which makes more sense in pure numbers. The GI Bill will cover the full cost of tuition for an in-state medical tuition (I plan on attending a state school) and pay roughly $18,000 per year in a stipend based off of my school location. I obviously owe nothing in return. On the other hand the HPSP scholarship will pay me approximately $32,000 per year (more than normal because of my current rank) and will pay approximately $97,000 per year during residency (again, more than normal because of my current rank). On the other hand I would owe the Army 4 years in return at approximately 126,000-140,000 per year depending on specialty (again, higher based on previous rank). I am leaning military because mostly because my wife and I will be having children soon and I figure it would be better to make less for a few years after residency to have the security of income during med school and residency. However, I am having a tough time finding the figures for an overall compensation comparison. I am looking for any help in this. I am not so naive to assume I know what my specialty will be (leaning strongly psychiatry or ER) but I am extremely confident that I will be a primary care physician. I would prefer to immediately work in a small-middle size city. I have read stickies in both the psychiatry and ER forums about the money lost from HPSP because of not being able to invest in a practice 4 years earlier. Any advice on this point? From those who have gone through residency with children, would you choose a more stable residency for less money in the first few years as attending and less time to invest in a practice? My thought process is that this investment is nil because the likelihood of staying in one place for many years after residency is very unlikely-any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the advice. I appologize if a previous post or sticky has answered parts of this; I just could not find a post that takes into account the significant increase in income based off of previous rank and then compares that figure to a free education through the GI Bill.