Financial advisor vs doctor

Pdc101010

Reaction score
Hello sdn,

This is my first post on this site. I have a question regarding career choice i do know this site is flooded with “DONT BE A DOCTOR” comments but just hear me out with an open mind and take the situation as if it was yours. So I am a senior in high school about to attend college and I am deciding which field I want to go into and yes I know I have time but still. My top 2 options are become a financial advisor and work with my dad who is successful in the field or become a doctor in which my parents said they would pay for. Before anything is said UNDERSTAND that I enjoy both and could see myself doing both. So does anyone have any advice? Btw I am looking for a lucrative career.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the advice and I think that it is worth noting that I am not the biggest science fan, I like that doctors get to save lives and help others while getting paid well but would not liking science hurt me? Or could I just power through the pre reqs?

So r you recommending I shouldn’t become a doctor because I don’t like science

Members don't see this ad :)
So r you recommending I shouldn’t become a doctor because I don’t like science
It sounds like you want to be a doctor to help people. Keep in mind that you could help people in a wide range of careers that does not involve science or getting into a large amount of debt. I am not a physician, however I have worked in both the ER and Primary Care setting. I can tell you that it is definitely not as glamorous as betrayed on TV. You don't go into this profession for the money. In fact many the doctors actively discourage me from going into medical school because they are just so jaded with the reality of medicine nowadays, consisting of bureaucracy and fear of lawsuits.

I second the above comments in regards to shadowing a physician to see what the job is really like but I would also add that you also do Hands-On job in the patient care team such as an EMT or a medical scribe. Maybe even try getting some volunteer experience at a local hospital. Try to avoid things like manning the hospital gift shop. Really put yourself out there and look for opportunities that require a more meaningful interaction with patients. Some hospitals have programs designed specifically for college students that allow you to work on a nursing floors to bathe and feed bedridden patients. I can guarantee you that most pre-meds who did something like this at my University realized very quickly that medicine was not for them because you have to get your hands dirty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice I will definitely be looking into that!