Financial aid and later interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kimya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the posts about interviews and realized I had a question about interview timing, acceptance, and financial aid. Say you are interviewing later (e.g. Feb, March, April). How does that affect your chances, if accepted at that school, of receiving the best financial aid? What if you've been accepted elsewhere- when should you start submitting your requests?

Members don't see this ad.

I had this problem too. What you have to do is apply for fin. aid as if you were accepted to the schools you are interviewing at. They will help you to do this. It makes it more difficult, but you gotta do it. At least you only have to submit one FAFSA.

The schools will be able to tell you what you need to do to. I would suggest calling them, or asking during your interviews.
Good Luck!

Hi Mango,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm still a little confused- how can you apply for financial aid at that school if you're not accepted? I know that you can do some things such as FAFSA, but do you mean their actual process?

Also, if you or anyone else has tips for the process of getting financial aid, PLEASE don't be shy
smile.gif
. Are there some resources you would recommend taking a look at?

Thanks so much

If I were you, I would file your FAFSA form as soon as possible, and have the results sent to the financial aid offices of all the schools to which you applied. This will cover any if not all loans that you will need for med school. Beyond that, I don't think there is much you can do. Applications for most school-based scholarships are contingent upon acceptance. On the bright side, most if not all schools will still consider you for scholarships no matter when you are accepted. For example, my school states that the deadline for scholarship applications is "30 days after acceptance." They award scholarships in late June.

The financial aid process is very simple at my school, and hopefully most others. If you don't know anything about the process, I can explain it to you, but I gather that you have filed a FAFSA before.