Financial aid changing after help from parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

somethingdeep

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received a financial aid estimate from one med school I have been accepted to. It did not have any suggested family contribution--the total cost of attendance was made with scholarships, grants, and a bunch of Stafford loans. My parents are not wealthy, but they (and I) might be able to come up with a few thousand dollars from savings so I don't have to take out quite as many loans at least for my first year. My question is this: if the school I attend sees that my family contributed money (and I took out correspondingly less loans), do I need to worry that they will assume my parents can contribute the same amount every year, and will they reduce my need-based grants accordingly?