Financial Aid Dilema

Started by starseeker
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

starseeker

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a dilema that I hope someone here can help me solve. I recently got accepted into a post-bac program for the fall and was waiting to recieve my awards letter. I was told I had maxed out on my Stafford loans and would have to apply for the PLUS Loan (this is mostly b/c the program is considered a 5th year undergraduate). Unfortunately my mother's credit is not good enough to be approved for the loan. I was then told I would have to get a private loan. I don't have bad credit but instead I don't have any at all. That appears to be just as bad as having bad credit as I am having a difficult time finding a loan that I can be approved for. I'm at the point now where I don't think I will be able to afford to go to school. There is no one in my family who can even begin to afford to pay for school (hence all the undergraduate loans). Also none of them have good credit. The financial aid office has not been very helpful. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do next? It would be greatly appreciated.
 
Edit- I just reread your post and realized that you would be applying as a 5th year undergrad, so my advice didn't apply. Sorry.🙁
 
Grants, scholarships, work, etc. Have you been getting/doing these things already? Seems as though your family doesn't have that much money so that would make you eligible for need based aid.

Also, many schools allow you to pay monthly which can lessen the load a bit. Other than lowering your living costs I don't know much of what you can do for yourself. (Living at home if the school is near your home).
 
Grants, scholarships, work, etc. Have you been getting/doing these things already? Seems as though your family doesn't have that much money so that would make you eligible for need based aid.

Also, many schools allow you to pay monthly which can lessen the load a bit. Other than lowering your living costs I don't know much of what you can do for yourself. (Living at home if the school is near your home).



Thanks a lot for the advice. Unfortuantely the school is 2 hours from home so I can't live there. However, I do plan on getting a job (i'm trying to line that up right now). I will definitely check on paying on a monthly basis. I didn't know that was possible. But thanks again. 😀