Financial aid for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does Med schools grant need based and/or merit based scholarship for students?

Is it similar to undergrads? I am very familiar with how UG fin aid and scholarship works, but not med schools. The reason I am asking this is that I m 100% sure that my fund by that time will not even close to half the money I need to attend the med schools. I have asked many schools through emails, but none of them replied....
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most students use loans to pay for school. The availability of merit scholarships varies by school, but are typically rare.

Reactions: 1 user
Why should a school give money to somebody who has a $50,000 job upon graduation that quickly rises to hundreds of thousands of dollars per year? Those med schools want a slice of your income just as much as the tax man, your loan servicer, your accountant, and your first wife.

The way med school works is you borrow money, and then you pay it back. Nobody cares anymore about how much you have; it's all about how much you will make.

Members don't see this ad :)
contrary to popular belief, scholarships (need based/merit) and grants are not unheard of in med school but not eveyr school offers it. the private school i got into gave me 18k in need based aid , however there cost of attendance is 80k/year. so i would have had to borrow the rest. another school offered me a sort of recruitment/diversity scholarship.

but for the most part you will have to borrow it. idk if you are in undergrad yet, but thats why they say to try to graduate with little to 0 undergrad loans. also if you do take loans in undergrad, you wouldnt want to max out your stafford lifetime loan amount. cuz then you would have to take out more loans with ridiculous interest rates

Why is it that expensive? Is it mandatory to live in dormitories?
I am still in undergraduate, and I am 100% sure I will have zero undergrad debt because I am attending my school with free tuition, and I have to pay only a bit more than 1k per semester for accessory fees.

In my experience, a small handful of scholarships is available, and they will not cover the full cost of attendance. For instance, a school might have ten scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $10,000, while the cost of attendance is around $50,000 per year (tuition plus living expenses). The only 100% scholarships that I know of are through the military HPSP or National health Service. In other words, prepare for loans.

Med school students will most likely have more loans than UG because:
1) less merit and need-based financial aid available. At most schools, these are supported by private donations similar to how many undergrad funding is supported. And since med school is much smaller group of students and more importantly is expected to have a much high future income than most people with just a BS/BA, so most big donors would rather donate to undergrad scholarships. Similar principle applies to why federal loan interest rates are also higher for grad/professional students and are now all unsubsidized, and why many state-wide tuition scholarship programs that easily cover full tuition or their public undergrads (eg HOPE/Zell Miller in Georgia, Bright Futures in Florida, Cal Grants in California) don't extend to grad/professional students. The only two major COA scholarships I know of are the military ones and the ones for MD/PhD students. Obviously, going either route is not for everyone so wouldn't try go for either just for the full scholarship. Many schools, especially private ones, will still have some merit or need-based aid (many lower tier public schools have little aid since their tuition is already very cheap and they are not as well known so they get less donations). In general, the top tier schools give out their aid on mostly a need basis using the "unit loan" model (where you you have to take out a certain amount of loan every year before you can get any of their grant/scholarship aid), while mid and lower tier schools will give out more aid on a merit basis (they want to attract above-average students to go there instead of a higher tier school).

2) Most parents are less financially supportive than in undergrad for similar reasons as mentioned above, especially if their child went to an expensive private undergrad with little aid. Then again, since most students getting into med school come from upper middle class backgrounds, it's not uncommon for some parents to still pay their entire COA for med school (on top of undergrad). But if that's not a possibility, you'll probably have to borrow at least some.

3) COA tends to be a bit higher than undergrad since it is generally more expensive to train med students (due to the specialized facilities and mentoring required), and most estimate than COA for a full year due to a lack of summer breaks after 1st year (while most undergrads only consider living costs for about 8-9 months out of the year). But this can vary significantly. The $80k/year mentioned is probably at a private school in a high cost of living city. Tuition at some state schools may be as little as $15k (eg many of the Texas schools), and if in an area with low cost of living the total COA may only be $35-40k. At other state schools like UVA it may be $48k just for in-state. It really depends on how much the state chooses to fund their future physicians...

I see...I am currently chem.E major with pre med track. I am most likely to take a gap year after the undergrad to earn some money. Is it advised to take a gap year before applying to med schools to have some funds? Do all med students have huge grad student debt after graduating?

I see...I am currently chem.E major with pre med track. I am most likely to take a gap year after the undergrad to earn some money. Is it advised to take a gap year before applying to med schools to have some funds? Do all med students have huge grad student debt after graduating?
A vast majority of med students have a decent chunk of debt when graduating. Id say most are 150-200k. Don't take a year off to save for med school it's not worth losing the year of doctors salary. If you want life experience by all means go for it, but not for money.

Oh and to an earlier question most medical students don't have the option to live in a dorm. You get an apartment which at least where I'm going is more expensive then it would be to get a dorm. Rent and bills are no fun.

Reactions: 1 users
So, the living expense is totally dependent on how you spend, right?

A vast majority of med students have a decent chunk of debt when graduating. Id say most are 150-200k. Don't take a year off to save for med school it's not worth losing the year of doctors salary. If you want life experience by all means go for it, but not for money.

Oh and to an earlier question most medical students don't have the option to live in a dorm. You get an apartment which at least where I'm going is more expensive then it would be to get a dorm. Rent and bills are no fun.
keep in mind that graduating with 150k-200k in loans means that you will most likely be paying back 200k-250k in loans after interest and etc.. even more depending on what the interest rates on your loans are.

also to your question about living expense being dependent on how you spend it.. no exactly.
for ex, the private school i was going to attend was in a large expensive city. the cheapest apartment meant i found near the school was $1300/month, which is 15600 a year... regardless if you dont eat for 12 months.. tht 15600 is inescapable. Add it to 50k tuition, and boom youre already 66k... add transportation food books. So many times, the estimated Cost of attendace that the school lists is pretty accurate.

keep in mind that graduating with 150k-200k in loans means that you will most likely be paying back 200k-250k in loans after interest and etc.. even more depending on what the interest rates on your loans are.

also to your question about living expense being dependent on how you spend it.. no exactly.
for ex, the private school i was going to attend was in a large expensive city. the cheapest apartment meant i found near the school was $1300/month, which is 15600 a year... regardless if you dont eat for 12 months.. tht 15600 is inescapable. Add it to 50k tuition, and boom youre already 66k... add transportation food books. So many times, the estimated Cost of attendace that the school lists is pretty accurate.
Some schools in expensive cities do have dorms for exactly this reason.
Also, a 2 bedroom is seldom double the price of 1-bedroom so you can share an apartment, have your own bedroom and pay less than you would if you were living alone. If you share a one -bedroom, you can get the cost down even lower. Sometimes having a roommate can be a comfort and a support as long as your study schedule is respected.

Oh, I did forget to mention the advantages of having leverage. If you have leverage, sometimes you can ask for a scholarship. Expect to receive a "we'll get back to you" and never hear back, but it does have the chance of netting you something. My friend and I were able to convince several schools to either match scholarships or bump non-existent ones into existence. I was able to get a school to match a full tuition scholarship and another to give me an additional 20k a year.

Remember, leverage is key.

Oh, I did forget to mention the advantages of having leverage. If you have leverage, sometimes you can ask for a scholarship. Expect to receive a "we'll get back to you" and never hear back, but it does have the chance of netting you something. My friend and I were able to convince several schools to either match scholarships or bump non-existent ones into existence. I was able to get a school to match a full tuition scholarship and another to give me an additional 20k a year.

Remember, leverage is key.

Yes. And students should not be afraid to ask. They're not going to "reject you" for being ungrateful if you ask for more aid.

At the end of the day, I'd rather "risk" being considered "ungrateful" than being in extra debt.