Financial aid for post-bacc

Started by Tribeca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tribeca

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I *know* someone posted a thread like this before but I couldn't find it using the search function. I'm doing my own post-bacc, which means that I am a non-admitted student at my university. Being non-admitted (i.e., not going for any degree), I don't qualify for federal loans. I thought about applying for a second bachelor's degree but I don't want to go that route. Dooes anyone know of good private lenders that'll loan money to non-admitted students like myself?

Thanks!
 
Actually, yes, you DO qualify for federal loans as a non-degree student. You are allowed to take out loans for a period of 12 consecutive months in order to take courses required for admission into a professional program. This is how I did it - I was considered a "continuing ed" (non-degree) student at Ohio State. I had to have a financial aid counselor verify each quarter that the courses I was taking were pre-reqs for a professional program. The downside is that it can be tough to do all of your pre-reqs in 12 months.

Don't throw out the option of applying for a second bachelors degree. Just because you enroll as a degree seeking student doesn't mean that you have to actually finish it. I have a couple of friends who got federal loans for their pre-reqs via that route. The plus side is that this eliminates the 12 consecutive month requirement. The down side is that there ARE some limits on how many credit hours/quarters/semesters you can receive loans for, and if you took out loans for your original degree, you need to investigate how much/how long they will let you borrow for undergrad courses.
 
Actually, yes, you DO qualify for federal loans as a non-degree student. You are allowed to take out loans for a period of 12 consecutive months in order to take courses required for admission into a professional program. This is how I did it - I was considered a "continuing ed" (non-degree) student at Ohio State. I had to have a financial aid counselor verify each quarter that the courses I was taking were pre-reqs for a professional program. The downside is that it can be tough to do all of your pre-reqs in 12 months.

Don't throw out the option of applying for a second bachelors degree. Just because you enroll as a degree seeking student doesn't mean that you have to actually finish it. I have a couple of friends who got federal loans for their pre-reqs via that route. The plus side is that this eliminates the 12 consecutive month requirement. The down side is that there ARE some limits on how many credit hours/quarters/semesters you can receive loans for, and if you took out loans for your original degree, you need to investigate how much/how long they will let you borrow for undergrad courses.

Thank you both for this thread. I just sent my post-bacc application out today, and I was wondering how to go about financing the process.
 
Actually, yes, you DO qualify for federal loans as a non-degree student. You are allowed to take out loans for a period of 12 consecutive months in order to take courses required for admission into a professional program. This is how I did it - I was considered a "continuing ed" (non-degree) student at Ohio State. I had to have a financial aid counselor verify each quarter that the courses I was taking were pre-reqs for a professional program. The downside is that it can be tough to do all of your pre-reqs in 12 months.

Don't throw out the option of applying for a second bachelors degree. Just because you enroll as a degree seeking student doesn't mean that you have to actually finish it. I have a couple of friends who got federal loans for their pre-reqs via that route. The plus side is that this eliminates the 12 consecutive month requirement. The down side is that there ARE some limits on how many credit hours/quarters/semesters you can receive loans for, and if you took out loans for your original degree, you need to investigate how much/how long they will let you borrow for undergrad courses.
And also, some schools will only let you do it for THEIR professional programs. I had a school deny me federal aid for that reason. Also you can't have had 5 years of federal funding as this is your max.

There are some threads about this in financial aid (and that forum is more aptly put to answer you questions). I would look about private loans in the forum. I've posted a few good links there.