Financial Aid Offers

Started by sambone
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sambone

Cornell 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible that a school would give you a better financial aid package if you hadn't already committed yourself to attending that school, than if you had? I don't think it should make any difference, but don't want to do anything rash.
 
No one can take away your spot before April 15th, so even if you are absolutely positively sure where you want to go, you don't lose a thing by waiting until the deadline to confirm. I know someone who was offered a scholarship about 2 weeks before the deadline, so obviously they wanted her to come. I don't know that they would have offered money if she had immediately responded "yes".

As far as loan money, I thought that was the feds, and I am not sure how much the school has to do with it. I was given the maximum amount of sub and unsub loans possible, despite having some savings (I'd been working for years) so perhaps the school does make sure you get enough to pay? Someone else might better answer that one.
 
Federal loans should be determined entirely based off of the info you fill out on the FAFSA.

I know that several of the schools I was looking at (I think ISU and VMRCVM are ones that come to mind) weren't going to send out financial aid package information until after the deadline for accepting their offer. On the other hand, though, Davis offered me a scholarship just a few days after their offer of admission. So some schools do that stuff before you commit to them and some after.

I have no idea if, for the schools who notify of scholarships before April 15th, whether they'd change what they were going to offer to any given person based off of whether they'd secured them yet or not. Interesting thought...