Financial Aid Packages/Scholarships for WL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saltedcaramel20

Reaction score
Hey, I just had a quick question. If you send a LOI to a school that you are waitlisted at and come off as quite strongly interested in that school, do you lose any possibility of getting scholarships? If that is the case, should we not send LOIs? In other words, how much can a desperate applicant really leverage with FA packages? I'm assuming they won't care if you have multiple A with scholarships elsewhere, right? So is it better financially to just wait and see if you get off the WL or shoot your shot and then still try to get better money?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I just had a quick question. If you send a LOI to a school that you are waitlisted at and come off as quite strongly interested in that school, do you lose any possibility of getting scholarships? If that is the case, should we not send LOIs? In other words, how much can a desperate applicant really leverage with FA packages? I'm assuming they won't care if you have multiple A with scholarships elsewhere, right? So is it better financially to just wait and see if you get off the WL or shoot your shot and then still try to get better money?
You have no leverage until you have numbers to show someone you need more money to cover your COA and lower your debt number.

I don't know if sending an LOI forfeits your right to scholarships or decreases any possibility. We don't really pay much attention to LOI's if you are on a waitlist, so if it makes you happy, send one. You already have a lot of offers, right?

This is where your conversations with current students who you met at interview day or before with your networking are good to have.