Financial Aid Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mrmandrake

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok,

A little background. I am a nontrad doing some post bacc work at UCI to apply to med school next year. I have been working full time and going to school but I want to quit my job so I can focus on getting into med school. I need about 6k in order to finish up my post bacc work. What are my financial aid options? I would preferably want something that has no interest rate and that I can defer until after residency, if that exists.

I mean, what is 6k when I will owe 200k out of med school? Do I qualify for anything FAFSA gives out? I have looked into a private loan by Citibank but that seems like the last option I want to take. Thank you guys.
 
So nobody wants to share how they paid for post bacc classes as a nontrad? 🙁 I know it's a boring topic but any links/tips/stories would be greatly appreciated.
 
I used to work in my schools Financial Aid office, so I have *some* advice I can give you.

First, you obviously will not qualify for the Pell Grant, or most other "free monies" of the Federal nature.

Second, you may qualify for standard student loans--IF your income on the FAFSA isn't too high. That is a formula that your school's FA office will know, because they have to base it off of their Cost-of-Attendance.

The third option is yet another form of student loans, just not through your school. Since they are thrid-party (banks, financial institutions, etc..) you will be able to borrow a significant amount more than the CoA formula would limit you to.

Fouth, there is the constant lottery of independant scholarships and such.

--I hope that this information helps you in some way. I would always reccomend speaking to a FA Officer at your school, there could be some little-known scholarship just waiting for you.

Also check out: www.fastweb.com : if you are not already familiar with it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to move this to Financial Aid to see if someone there can give you more options.