Financial Aid Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VneZonyDostupa

PGY-6 (ID Fellow)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

I posted a similar question in the allo forum, but they must be busy studying or something =P

So med school apps, interview stuff and a few personal expenses, i've got a couple thousand in credit card debt i am paying on every month. I know you are supposed to use your med school loans for living expenses like rent and such, but can i use it to pay my card off in full?

Members don't see this ad.

I know you are supposed to use your med school loans for living expenses like rent and such, but can i use it to pay my card off in full?

The way I understand it, medical schools expect you to start at $0 debt. This means no credit card payments, no car payments, etc. I think you can use loans to pay off your credit card, but it just means you will have to take away from other areas - live in a cheaper apartment, minimize entertainment costs...

hmmm. It seems odd they wpuld expect you to start with no debt. How are we supposed to come up with the money for amcas, mcat, secondaries, flights/driving to interviews, and such when most of us are full time students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Parents, savings from summer jobs...

A lot of things don't make sense about financial aid.

Parents, savings from summer jobs...

A lot of things don't make sense about financial aid.

hmm, well, guess I'll just have to use part of my loans to pay it off and just not tell anyone =)