Financial Aid Questions for 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psilovethomas

...so now what?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on filling out my FAFSA for next year. The form says I am considered independent, but can answer questions about my parents. What is the point of answering questions about my parents? If I do, how will it benefit me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am working on filling out my FAFSA for next year. The form says I am considered independent, but can answer questions about my parents. What is the point of answering questions about my parents? If I do, how will it benefit me?

DO IT! If you do, you are eligible for the Health Professions Loan, which is 5% interest (way better than federal loans). Look into it!

DO IT! If you do, you are eligible for the Health Professions Loan, which is 5% interest (way better than federal loans). Look into it!

Isn't he HPL only up to 6000 though? I wish it were the whole shebang.

PS: I worry that they use the parent information to calculate an amount that they predict your parents will give you to help with your tuition based on their salaries, and that this predicted value will be taken out of the amount in loans that they will offer you. I have no idea if this is true, but it is the only reason I can imagine.

Members don't see this ad :)

PS: I worry that they use the parent information to calculate an amount that they predict your parents will give you to help with your tuition based on their salaries, and that this predicted value will be taken out of the amount in loans that they will offer you. I have no idea if this is true, but it is the only reason I can imagine.
According to the financial aid office at Ohio State, the parent information is only for the health professions loan and need based scholarships that may be available. Otherwise you are looked at as an independent student and will be offered financial aid up to the cost of attendence.

This happened to me in undergrad... they said my parents could afford $27,000.00 to put toward my education... They only make about 75,000 combined! Not sure what the hell FAFSA is thinking sometimes! :confused:

hey,
when we fill out the FAFSA, on the school selection page, what do we fill in? schools we've applied to/haven't been rejected from yet?
i hope it doesn't jinx me to fill out a FAFSA just because i've received interview invitations....
:scared: