financial aid refund

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChiaPet312

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

so, i was just wondering how this all works.

after completing the online FAFSA and your school's respective financial aid forms, i guess you're just supposed to sit tight and wait till you get an award letter?

i read somewhere around here that after getting the award letter, the money isn't sent to your account (school bill...whatever) till the middle of august or so? whatever money remains (that you can use towards living expenses) won't be given to you till late august or early september. i'm assuming for some schools, it might even be later.

my question is, what do you do about living expenses for the months before you start medical school. for example, i believe my classes will begin in early august. i'm gonna move out of my parents' place by the middle of july. rent money, utilities, um...all that other great stuff, is there a way to get loans for these things for the 2 months before i get my aid refund?

ah...let the worrying begin. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply for summer financial aid. I'm not sure if you can do this if you aren't a student there yet though. If you can, you need to fill out another form from your school's financial aid office to do so. If that doesn't work, and you really need money, there is always using credit cards with introductory low rates to support yourself until your FA checks arrive. Be careful about credit card debt though, you should maintain a credit card debt of 0 throughout most of med school.

Oh ChiaPet312,

We have the same problem. Here is the short list of options I am currently hashing over:

1) Land a spot in my soon-to-be-school's summer research program that issues a stipend, super-scrimp through June, July, August. Rely on sympathetic grandmother in case of $$ related emergency.

2) Spend summer cost-free with said sympathetic grandmother. Tempting, but not productive AT ALL and I don't like being unproductive and a family moocher.

3) Try to land a summer job in my undergrad city, live with my "for now, fingers crossed" long-term significant other to reduce rent costs, move to new city and try to survive for a month before financial aid begins.

I have saved enough to get me one month's rent and start-up costs. Other than that... S T R E S S ! ! !

:scared: :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
shark...

your grandmother sounds like a nice lady. since you don't wanna mooch, you think she'd mind me taking your spot? :p

but yes, i just started working last week...the pay's not much, but i'm hoping it'll help me with some of the expenses. i definetly need to buy a car. and then, there's always the credit card like someone else said. is working possible for you?

the summer programs and summer financial aid sound like excellent ideas. i'm definetly gonna look to see what's available in my school.

:thumbup:

Ah, work.

Outside of random tutoring, I really don't think anything is feasible for me. I'm still in school, and seeing how there is a very high probability that I'll be leaving my undergrad city in less than two months... I don't think anyone is going to be eager to hire me. I feel like such a nomad; it will be good to "settle" somewhere for at least 4 years!!!