Financial Aid, the FAFSA, and HPSL Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtstargazer9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting pharmacy school this fall and I'm working on filling out the FAFSA but I have a few questions. I know that as Pharmacy students we're considered independent, but I've heard that you still have to fill out the parent section of the FAFSA to be eligible for certain loans (like the HPSL loan). Does filling out the parent section affect eligibility for other loans, like Federal Stafford loans? I'm worried that I won't be considered for aid because of my parents' income, but I'll be paying for school all on my own and won't be able to afford it without a lot of aid. Any clarification on all of this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, for UNC students, is there any other form besides the FAFSA that needs to be filled out for financial aid? When I applied as an undergraduate a few years ago the CSS profile (I think that's what it is) was also required. Is this required for the pharmacy school too?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your parent's information will not impact Stafford loans. For everything besides HPSL, they look at your EFC.
For HPSL, if your parents make more than $100,000, you won't get it.
My EFC dropped a lot from my last undergrad year to my first pharmacy.