financial aid while in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kermit12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pre-pharmacy and I was just wondering...

To PharmD students, how hard is it to get financial aid every year while getting your pharmD? :confused: If I get into pharmacy school I'll have to pay my own way through, and I assume that I'll always be able to get a loan, but I guess I just wanted to make sure...:scared:

I haven't been checking the financial aid info for each school, since I figure, I'll worry about that once I've been accepted and have to decide between schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Everybody I know is eligible for financial aid with federal stafford loans. I'm sure you should be able to get plenty of loans if you are going to a state school (don't know much about private schools). The big question is whether or not the loans will be subsidized.

I go to a private school and have never had a problem getting student loans. They generally cover everything I need.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much (over cost of tuition) do you ask for when applying for loans? Let's say your tuition is 20K/year, for argument's sake.

How much (over cost of tuition) do you ask for when applying for loans? Let's say your tuition is 20K/year, for argument's sake.

I think the school usually has a set number in mind for the max you can borrow. They figure in things like housing, books and supplies etc.

For example, at my school even though tuition is around 15K/yr you can borrow more than 10K over that! :scared: (At least I think thats how it works)

My school has a default financial aid package for pharmacy students. If I recall, for this year, you could borrow up to about $31K of Stafford (Unsub and Sub). Yearly tuition and fees for P2-P4 is about $16K. It's a little higher for P1s because the university decided to add a new fee for all new students.
I received both Stafford-Subsidized and Perkins Loan. If you add in your parents, you can receive the Health Professional Students Loan. Also, there is the Grad PLUS loan.