Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tounchie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which schools are generally more generous when it comes to amount of financial aid? are there schools that are willing to cover up to as much as 50% of tuition and supplies?

Members don't see this ad.

Every school will cover 100% of tuition + supply + living expenses.
Financial aid will be all loans and no grants.

Yes, you can get loans to cover everything. Not scholarships, though. Sure, some schools do have scholarships, but your application has to be absolutely stellar to get them... and even then, they usually don't cover THAT much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well.... To put it in perspective for everyone.

My friend (currently at Harvard Dental) applied to 10 schools with a 3.99 GPA from UCLA and a 28AA 30 TS and 24 PAT. ECs and LORs were out of this world.

He was only invited to 7 interviews. Attended 6. and was accepted to all 6.

NOT A PENNY in scholarships. They are hard to come by and it will always take more than numbers to get a scholarship. He will be paying for dental school like everyone else: 100% student loans.

Wow with those stats I'm shocked he didn't get an interview at all schools he applied to.

I too have a close friend that was a 3 time reapplicant, not sure of her gpa, but 18aa dat that rec'd a scholarship to her school of choice. She worked her butt off and improved and stayed involved in the community and it paid off. So it really isn't all stats.

There is no such thing as a scholarship for an entering student unless it's an HPSP military or NHSC. Some schools may give out small performance based scholarships while you are in school (~$2k max). When you fill out the FAFSA, the government will provide the Direct Unsubsidized loan based off the school's estimated cost of attendance. Many students will not receive the total amount needed for the school year; in that case, you can take out a second loan, the federal Grad Plus loan, in order to meet the school's estimated cost of attendance (this usually includes living expenses). You may not take out federal loans exceeding the estimated cost of attendance of your school. I'm currently going through this process now.