Is it too late for me on a financial scale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miab1993

Reaction score
I just turned 30, been an assistant for 7 years. Have been wanting to begin on the path to dental school for awhile, just has never been the right time. I want to start now, however being 30 yrs old and not having any pre reqs/undergraduate degree...is it even worth it on the timeline and financial aspect I'm looking at.
(I am closest to UAB)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's too late. In order to apply to most dental schools, you need an undergrad degree, so that'll take 3-4 years. That means you'd be accepted into dental school at 34, graduate at 38. During your undergrad, you could take as many credits as possible at a community college or local state university to keep costs low. You could also continue dental assisting part time as long as that's not negatively affecting your grades. For dental school UAB is not particularly expensive. Assuming you're funding most of this through loans, altogether, I think you could keep your debt load <$350k. At that debt load, your debt to income ratio would still be <2x even at the beginning of your career, and that ratio will improve as your income increases due to improved productivity or ownership.

I think this makes sense if your alternative is continuing dental assisting longterm. Even though there will be a temporary loss of income during your schooling, you'll make at least >3x income each year as a dentist compared to an assistant, so you'll make the money back quickly once you're working and your potential lifetime earnings over a 20 year career will be much higher.

Lastly, a good middle ground option could be dental hygiene. The path would be much quicker (2-3 years to become a hygienist versus 8 years to become a dentist), so if the 8 years of no income and high loan burden is not tolerable to you, this could be a way to bump your income.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree that you have to do your own assessment of your financial situation. It's not too late, but we don't know your family situation and financial goals. If you don't have an undergraduate degree ahead of time, the cost of education is not trivial. I agree that DH may be a shorter route that may not require as much of an educational investment, but you have to decide whether you have to keep working.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not too late but it is definitely not ideal if you want to retire by, let's say, 60 years old. At 30 years old you are looking at 3-4 years to get undergraduate / prerequisites. Then 4 years of dental school assuming that you get in on the first round of applications. This puts you at 38 with lets say $280,000 in debt (this number can drastically increase depending on what school you attend).

The biggest issue isn't that you are starting dentistry at 38 years old, it is that you are starting dentistry at 38 years old with $280,000 or so in debt. If you have the drive and self control to tackle the loans aggressively once you graduate then you may be able to take care of it in 5-7 years. I have a few friends who have done this and lived like they were still in school when they started making their real money as a dentist. Most of my colleagues however make minimum payments or at least did so the first 5 years out of school and are now taking the loans seriously. However they started working as a dentist at 26/27 years old and had time to catch up when they finally came around.

When you finish 8 years of difficult studies, it is very hard to stay the course with your lifestyle. At this point many dentists feel that they deserve a new house, a new car or to finally go out and eat fancy dinners multiple times a week. All of that will add up and just put you further behind ever retiring if you go that route.

Some don't mind paying the loans until they die as they don't want to give up their lifestyle and just see it as the cost of doing business. Some don't like the subconscious daily reminder of how much debt they are in that affects their daily life due to the constant stress. I personally did not want the stress of debt weighing on me for years. There is going to come a time where you are tired of having to work. Not tired of working but tired of HAVING to work just to pay the bills. Life is not all about money, but having money allows you to focus on other things and to be financially free so that your career no longer controls you as you can walk away at any point. If you are in a ton of debt working as a dentist, you may like doing dentistry - but I guarantee you wont like HAVING to do dentistry to stay afloat. The stress of a simple wrist injury having the ability to derail your entire life because of your debt and monthly needs is stressful. You might convince yourself that you don't mind working into your 60's, but your subconscious always knows that you don't want that. There's a difference between choosing to work 1 or 2 days a week in your 60's because you like dentistry vs HAVING to work 4-5 days a week in your 50's just to make your monthly payments.

Even if you aggressively pay off your loans in, let's say, 6 years - you are now 44 with $0 net worth (better than (-)$280,000 net worth but still a tough starting point for retirement). The most important years of compound growth for retirement are our 20's. The next best decade is our 30's. After that, it becomes very hard to catch up with someone who lets say has a mechanical engineering degree and has been working since they were 22 funding their retirement with $60-$80k salary. The compound growth that they received by funding their 401k for that decade puts them way ahead of most of us initially, especially if you aren't starting until your mid-40's.

I am not trying to be negative, but I am just bringing up very important points. It really depends on your situation (married / dual income / kids / homeowner?) and what your goals are. I would say that financial freedom is a goal that we all strive for whether we overtly admit it or not though. Just be careful with how much debt you go into in this decade of your life because your decision now will be very important for where you are at in terms of retirement/freedom in 20 years when you no longer have the drive/energy/health that you do now.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are serious about being a dentist, there are enhanced/accelerated programs for you to get all of the prereqs needed in a short amount of time. I believe you could get the prereqs done within 2 years along with a bachelor's degree (online) in 2 years as well. 1 person in my class did this. They didn't apply until their mid-30s and did all the prereqs in a year and a half. Applied to dental school after finishing their first year of prereqs and got accepted their first cycle to multiple dental schools. They were also fortunate to get accepted to a 3-year dental school, so the transition to becoming a dentist is about 5 years for them.