• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

jd27

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
hello everyone. i am still in the process of interviewing, so i have not been able to file for financial aid. therefore, i have the following financial aid questions:

is this the deadline for financial aid? i looked on fasfa and it said...

The 2004-2005 School Year (July 1st, 2004 - June 30th, 2005):

FAFSA on the Web, Renewal FAFSA on the Web, and applications must be submitted by midnight Central Daylight time, June 30, 2005.
Corrections on the Web forms must be submitted by midnight Central Daylight time, September 17, 2005.

so does that mean i have until next year to file for financial aid (not that i would wait til next year)?

i guess my next question is for dental students & those who already know how much financial aid they are receiving...

does financial aid cover most of the costs for dental school? i know it varies depending on the individual's financial status, but i wanted to know for the majority. i know private schools can cost up to $75,000 and if $30,000 came in aid that still means that i would have to come up with $45,000! someone please help.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I'll answer as concisely as possible.

First, turn in your FAFSA now, if possible. Simply list the schools you might be attending. The schools will worry about the rest. If you list a school that you don't attend it isn't a big deal. But for the one school that you eventually will attend, getting your aid information promptly is a big deal. Once you have your taxes done, file that FAFSA form.

Also, in regards to amounts, the schools will tell you how much you can qualify for. You'll get max amount of government loans, and then they will (most likely) have several private loans for you to choose from to make up the remainder of your cost of education budget (which includes tuition, tools, books, housing, transportation, food, etc.).

If you feel you don't need as much as they have allotted in the budget, simply don't take out the entire amount of loans. The entire loan process is much simpler than people make it out to be. Your financial aid office will have it so simplified that after turning in your FAFSA, you'll get promissary notes asking how much you want to take out. All you really have to do is sign and date them and then drop them in the mail. You'll get an excess check, or direct deposit, at school after the school takes out your tuition.

It's fairly easy, as I think you'll find out.

dj phin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
Does anyone have an opinion on whether parental information is needed on the FAFSA? Or is it better to leave it out? Or does it make no difference?

About the Ads

HBomb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by dj phin
Does anyone have an opinion on whether parental information is needed on the FAFSA? Or is it better to leave it out? Or does it make no difference?

Definitely include parental info on the FAFSA. For dental school, you are considered independent regardless of your parental information. Parental information is required to qualify for the HPSL (health professions student loan). For dental school, parental information will only help you. It cannot hurt your ability to get financial aid.

And as someone already stated, and let me stress more urgently, get your FAFSA in NOW.

JRogoff

Resident Palatal Phallacy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2004
Plantation, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by HBomb888
Definitely include parental info on the FAFSA. For dental school, you are considered independent regardless of your parental information. Parental information is required to qualify for the HPSL (health professions student loan). For dental school, parental information will only help you. It cannot hurt your ability to get financial aid.

And as someone already stated, and let me stress more urgently, get your FAFSA in NOW.

I was told at a couple of schools not to put parental information. Also that putting this information determines weather you get subcidized or the unsubcidized loan, and there is a big differnece in the amount of the two. This is only what i have been told from financial aid officers, but it does make sense. The financial aid officer explained it like this.....Say my parents had a combind income of over $500,000 a year, i don't think the government would like me taking their money with an income like that. On the other hand whos to say that your entitled to your parents money? The whole thing doesn't make sense to me, but thats the way our goverment uasually works!

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
A few schools told me that to be eligible for a few select scholarships and grants, I'd have to provide parental information. This freaked out some people at my interview because they were independents and have never claimed parental information.

Why is the stuff we're being told at certain schools conflicting with stuff from others? :mad:

JRogoff

Resident Palatal Phallacy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2004
Plantation, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by ziptree
A few schools told me that to be eligible for a few select scholarships and grants, I'd have to provide parental information. This freaked out some people at my interview because they were independents and have never claimed parental information.

Why is the stuff we're being told at certain schools conflicting with stuff from others? :mad:

I guess if its a private scholarship or grant they can require whatever they want. Keep in mind that these scholarships might be need based.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.