financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omaralt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was just wondering something about financial aid. i hear that almost everybody gets financial aid for dental school, and i'm pretty sure i'm going to be at the lowest rungs of the financial level. i'm going to be married (this dec. yaaa!!) and living with my wife. we're both going to be going to school and not working and recieving no assistance from our parents. so, i know that some people in undergrad who recieve full financial aid get all their tuition paid and then get some money on top of it. i'm pretty sure this is not how it works in dental school, but if anybody who has already been there done it, knows how it works, i woudl appreciate any help/insight. thanks a lot guys, btw, just finished my aadsas and applied to:

university of fl
NOVA
howard
university of maryland
university of NJ
SUNY @ buffalo
Case Western
Temple

hopefully i'll get in somewhere i'm hoping....

thanks

omar

Members don't see this ad.

'Aid' is a relative term because it includes money that must be repaid (loans) and grants. I'm sure no matter what you can get loans covering everything and then some but in undergrad it is not unheard of to get that in the form of grants and scholarships. It is unlikely you will get 30k+ for "free" from dental school, especially given what you will make as a dentist.

Cheers,
Marshall

omaralt said:
so, i know that some people in undergrad who recieve full financial aid get all their tuition paid and then get some money on top of it. i'm pretty sure this is not how it works in dental school, but if anybody who has already been there done it, knows how it works, i woudl appreciate any help/insight.

Actually, that is how it works in dental school as well.

Your school will come up with a student budget, and students may request loans up to but not exceeding that amount. That student budget amount includes tuition, fees, housing, car insurance, health insurance, food, entertainment, etc.

Keep in mind that each school (no matter which you attend) calculates this based on a single person. So, for example, just because I have a wife and two kids does NOT mean that my student budget is higher than my classmates who are single. We all have the same budget and can take out the same max. amount of loans.

I hope this answered some questions.