1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Financial Aid

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by secretstang19, Oct 12, 2002.

1. secretstang19

secretstang19 Member
    7+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone had any info about which schools tend to give generous financial aid (and which don't). If people out there have enough information, we might even be able to start a list. I'll start with a couple that I know about for sure:

DUKE gives every student a "Duke grant" that covers 60% of your demonstrated need. Plus, if you get an outside scholarship, it counts against your loans or contribution rather than the school's grant money!

BAYLOR makes you pay out-of-state tuition for your first year, but it's easy to get in-state residency and the subsequent lighter bill for your second year.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    About half of Mayo students get a full scholarship and the rest get at least 50 percent sholarship. Nobody pays more than $11,000 and many (those from Arizona, Florida, or Minnesota) pay $5,500 at the most. There are many, many scholarships.

4. SDNLurker

SDNLurker Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

are people from arizona, minnesota, and florida considered instate for the admissions process? I was looking at the MSAR and saw the numbers. Not that it matters, but being from california, and out of those states, my chances would be considerably lower. They accept nearly 50% of all interviewed from "instate".

5. isidella

7+ Year Member

mayo has little subsidary clinics in those states you listed, it is my understanding that students can do research or bits of their ed at those facilities.

6. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...
    7+ Year Member

Ohio State converts to in-state fees after one year, like Baylor.

7. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed
    7+ Year Member

I've read some threads from last year in which people discuss whether it's possible after the 1st year to have in-state tuition status @ Penn State. No one seemed to know for sure. Anyone have accurate info on this? It would save a lot of phone calls to their office w/ the same question.

When I spoke w/ the U Conn office, they said this was possible. Also, in state status is possible @ U Conn for folks from a few New England states like RI, which doesn't have a public med school.

Also how @ OHSU (Oregon) & Vermont? Thanks.

8. SDNLurker

SDNLurker Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know, but do they have in state admissions advantage?

9. omores

omores sleep deprived
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When I interviewed at Vermont two years ago, I was told that if you entered as an out-of-state resident, you'd be considered out-of-state for all four years. There were a few random exceptions, like getting married to a Vermont resident...

10. Nefertari

7+ Year Member

omores,

Thanks for that info @ Vermont. If that's still true, then Vermont'll be last on my list of 24 schools, even AFTER Loma Linda (which was slightly cheaper last year). I used to live in New England & can't deal w/ those winters anymore.

11. secretstang19

secretstang19 Member
    7+ Year Member

My understanding is that in most states, it's difficult to get in-state tuition after a year or two. In Virginia, for example, the only easy way for an out of stater to get in state residency is to marry a Virginian. I guess it's the same way in Vermont.

That's what makes the policies at Baylor (and I guess Ohio St., too) so unique.

12. Nefertari

7+ Year Member

Just looked @ Vermont's viewbook . . . out of state tuition for 2002-2003: $36,980 :wow:

& even in-state: $21,140 :eek:

What are they thinking??? As bad as BU!!! And next year, tack on another thousand or so . . . .

13. medicine2006

medicine2006 Happy Pisces
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Howard's tuition is the cheapest of the private school's. $18,700 this year and if you apply for scholarships you usually get a few thousand dollars.

14. Nefertari

7+ Year Member

15. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

anyone who's working this year wondering about how the financial aid situation is going to work out for them? I'm a little worried because I've been out of school for 2 years and working the whole time. unfortunately, after AMCAS, secondaries, and interviews I'm flat broke. I'm worried that the schools are going to look at my tax forms and say "well you must have plenty of money since you've been earning a salary for two years now - no financial aid for you!"

i know it's totally premature to worry about this - i haven't even gone on any interviews yet!! just wondering if anyone has any insights!

16. omores

omores sleep deprived
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pwrpf: Yes, your EFC is likely to be relatively high if you've been earning money. But the next year, of course, you'll have entered debt-land, so your EFC will drop again.

Nefertari: I have a dim, dim memory that OHSU lets you pay in-state tuition after a year. Since they declined to interview me, however, the details didn't stick...

17. Nefertari

7+ Year Member

Thanks again, omores. That's good to know @ EFC. Now I don't feel as bad @ cutting down work hours to finish 2ndaries.

18. Nefertari

7+ Year Member

This thread's been helpful for us poor students. Hope it doesn't fade out . . .

19. Nefertari

7+ Year Member

sacrament,

Thanks for the correction. You're currently a med student @ OHSU, right? Could you please let us know if it's possible to take a year off after the 1st year @ OHSU to work full-time in order to be considered for instate tuition status?

Also, if you have time, could you share w/ us your knowledge of what the admissions process @ OHSU is like for CA / out of state apps? Thanks!

20. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The average Hopkins debt is $70,000 for medical school.

21. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...
    7+ Year Member

I wonder if this is an accurate measure though. Is it an average of 70K because 3 out of 5 students are having their apartments, car insurance and food bill paid for by their parents?

My tuition at Ohio State was 9K. I borrowed an additional about 9K every year to pay for living expenses, thus graduating with about 70K in debt.

It's hard for me to believe that JHU is as cheap as Ohio State was five years ago - 'cause OSU was considered cheap even back then.

Just wonderin'....

22. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

This is a good point. But I'm sure the majority of the students at JHU did not have their parents pay for everything. I just know that Hopkins will provide a nice financial package for those who need it.

23. marakah2

marakah2 Member
    7+ Year Member

i am pretty sure i recall that the OSU tuition is fixed at the amount you start at, is that right?

so no yearly jumps, which is nice

there are also the service agreement programs, where you agree to serve a year in a rural/underserved area in exchange for tuition.