Financial Aid

Started by cmc271
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cmc271

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've got one more year left for my BA and I'll be applying to Au.D. programs next fall. I'm starting my search for grad schools and financial aid is going to play a big role in my decision. I've read the information on school's websites but I was hoping to get some information from actual students going through the process. What sort of aid packages/GA's/TA's/RA's have people been offered? Any advantage with being a male?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
To my knowledge, much of the financial aid you will receive will be determined by the numbers on your EFC from FAFSA. There are scholarships and such that may be applied for, as well as work study, but these things are less certain. Loans are inevitable.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To my knowledge, much of the financial aid you will receive will be determined by the numbers on your EFC from FAFSA. There are scholarships and such that may be applied for, as well as work study, but these things are less certain. Loans are inevitable.
My EFC is low and I'm an independent. I believe at UAMS, they figure your cost of attendance(school and living expenses) and disburse accordingly, but who knows how generous they are.. Can you stack the loans on top of the financial aid similar to undergrad?
 
i don't think grad students get much by way of federal grants-it's mostly institutional scholarships, graduate assistantships, and loans.

many departments at public schools offer part-time assistantships to their top students and the rest often find full-time assistantships elsewhere on campus. at least this has been my experience.

with a part-time assistantship the math i've done estimates needing to take out around 20 grand a year in loans, to pay off the excess credits and for cost of living (15 grand). but that's specific to my university and location.
 
Hi, I filed FAFSA early in the february... Is there anyother procedure to be completed for getting a loan... I have heard from the FAFSA that I will be contacted by the college but I didnt heard anything regarding the award of my loan...Is it too early to hear anything regarding that...


i don't think grad students get much by way of federal grants-it's mostly institutional scholarships, graduate assistantships, and loans.

many departments at public schools offer part-time assistantships to their top students and the rest often find full-time assistantships elsewhere on campus. at least this has been my experience.

with a part-time assistantship the math i've done estimates needing to take out around 20 grand a year in loans, to pay off the excess credits and for cost of living (15 grand). but that's specific to my university and location.
 
if schools participate in Direct Loans, they will probably contact you to tell you what you qualify for. If they do Family Educational Loan Programs, there may be a separate application. I would contact the financial aid office for instructions. It's not too late to take out loans in any case.