Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBJ2Chicago

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a question about financial aid when it comes to med school. Obviously most of us will have to borrow from the government, however, I was wondering if the financial aid is actually financial aid. Does the government help fund a small percent of the tuition, or is everything that they grant pretty much loans.

I apologize in advance if the question sounds stupid but I just want to get some things clear.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe all of the grants are loans with low interest (6.8%!!! :() unless you apply for other scholarships like military, national guard...

Hey guys,

I had a question about financial aid when it comes to med school. Obviously most of us will have to borrow from the government, however, I was wondering if the financial aid is actually financial aid. Does the government help fund a small percent of the tuition, or is everything that they grant pretty much loans.

I apologize in advance if the question sounds stupid but I just want to get some things clear.

Thanks!

I believe all of the grants are loans with low interest (6.8%!!! :() unless you apply for other scholarships like military, national guard...

yeah that's what I figured. Ah well, thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah that's what I figured. Ah well, thanks for the info.

There are no grants for graduate or profession school in the United States. All financial aid given at this level is in the form of low interest/interest deferred loans.

There are many scholarships and also research funding, but no need-based grants.

There are no grants for graduate or profession school in the United States. All financial aid given at this level is in the form of low interest/interest deferred loans.

There are many scholarships and also research funding, but no need-based grants.

Would you happen to know where I could find some of these scholarships?

Stafford and grad plus loans don't have a very favorable interest rate compared to the past and the current base rate. Most people do get some subsidized stafford loans (don't accrue interest until after school). I think the max for those is 8-9k/year and high income/assets can lower how much of these you are given.

Would you happen to know where I could find some of these scholarships?

Merit scholarships depend on school. The different military branches give out "scholarships" in return for service, these are not competitive. The National Health Service Corps has the same scholarship for service thing for those who are going into primary care (be sure though, there are penalties if you don't) where you work in an under-served area after residency. I hear there is a competitive element to the NHSC scholarship, but I have no personal experience with this.