Financial question to students in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coccinelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i am wondering whether it is realistic to study medicine in Ireland without any financial support other than loans? It seems most people get at least some assistance from family and i've had a hard time figuring out if it's possible to commit this financial suicide on my own or whether i need to start looking at cheaper schools? Thanks a lot for any info you can give! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm dong it entirely on loans and at times it is scarey. Talk to me in a few years and I will let you know if it is financial suicide. I think it is all going to work out in the end, but I've spent my working life living on $15,000.00 a year and know how little a human being really needs to get along. If you want a huge house and a family and several cars and... it might take you a little longer to get all that with the Irish debt hanging over your head. On the other hand, your debt won't be any larger than if you went to school in the US somewhere. Good luck
M

Thanks very much med2UCC, i was also calculating the debt to be similar to what i would have if i went to the US but it just seems so scary that i wasn't sure if it was realistic. It's encouraging to hear that you're making it, good luck!